318-349 stroker w/EZE-EFI

-

RAMM

Reaction score
This is the latest build that came together and surprised me. I was given an opportunity to build an engine based off a 318 Magnum block '(95) that is slated for use in a '73 A-body. The owner and I spoke in depth as to what his true expectations for the engine were. He specified long road trips all over the U.S. and Canada, daily driver reliability and ease of use, decent mileage, and of course power. He also told me about his previous engine build that was basically a total disaster. He entrusted some guy to build up his 318 into a hot rod and received an engine that failed and of course didn't contain many of the parts claimed. The engine was supposed to have EngineQuest heads and were in fact some kind of Chinese knockoffs. This is where he was put in touch with me via EngineQuest when he called them looking for info.

Every engine is unique and this one featured one that is new territory for me--A SNOW meth injection system. Knowing this I settled on an abnormally high static compression ratio and an extremely modest camshaft. How modest? How about 205/210 @ .050" on a 112 LSA hydraulic roller regrind on the original Magnum core. I told the customer that I felt this engine would be doing well at 1 hp/ci for a target of 349 peak HP. The customer also specified the EZE-EFI system to be used which also influenced my cam choice.

Some very unique machining was employed and it was experimental in many aspects. I used cast pistons wanting a tight skirt clearance and machined them to a 1.650 comp height and a CNC concave dish .05" deep in the center to "capture and center" the combustion force directly over the rod and crank throw. Final compression measured in at 10.7 which was little higher than the 10.5 target I had in mind.

Some "special" machining was employed on the fantastic EQ heads with respect to the valve job. Also Ferrea 2.02/1.60" valves were used. Another interesting component used was the old Weiand X-celerator intake manifold. Prior experience taught me this manifold is an excellent all around manifold. Its the single plane that thinks its a dual plane.

To cut to the chase the engine made 370 HP and 380 ft/lbs with a QFT 600 carb on the first pull. I couldn't believe it because the idle vacuum of 15" and smoothness of the engine through the pull was so belying. I promptly went through the calibration procedure and hung the 300 lbs of weights on the calibration arm. It is supposed to display 900 ft/lbs and it was off showing 902 ft/lbs.

On goes the EZE-EFI and with the high manifold vacuum the EFI had zero trouble figuring out the fuel mapping. Wow smoother, starts at the slightest touch of the button, super sharp throttle response, and more power to boot. How much power showed up? Well I did 4 back to back pulls at 160-166 F water temp and the last pull was the best --383 hp and 398.8 ft/lbs.

I cannot believe a camshaft this small afforded this kind of power and at 5800 no less. I told the customer a week before that if it did not produce the power I wanted I was pointing my finger squarely at the cam and that it was coming out for a more suitable grind. I am glad I did not have to tear it open as it did not leak a single drop of oil. It's Miller time! J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140806-00737.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 391
Cam Doctor info from the cam regrind. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140807-00743.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 342
The engine was dynode on VP fuels 100 octane Street Blaze with total timing at 34 degrees. There was no chance to set up and try the SNOW system. With the cooling effect in the intake tract I expect power to crest the 400 hp mark. The redline is the EFI the green line is the carb. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140806-00739.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 355
Headwork on the EQ's. Utterly fantastic heads. Zero porting on these. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140725-00707.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 335
Awesome numbers,RAMM. Shows the versatility of the E.Q head/chamber,with a proper quench. The Weiand intake is a twist,from the air gap. Nice work. Any head work,or just a cutter/blend bowl?

Some shortblock photos. Standard OEM style link belt chain with a tensioner for longevity. Both were Cloyes products. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140722-00701.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 418
That is very impressive ! Perfect for a car that will be used for long road trips . Will be interested on the mpg it gets . You're close to Ottawa right ?

Piston work before and after. I stole this idea from F1. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140711-00671.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG-20140711-00672.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG-20140711-00673.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 378
Here is an interesting comparison of the 347 with '302 heads some of you may remember. '302 heads = junk
EQ heads = success

Green line is carb'd 349
Red line is 347

'302 heads....Never again. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140806-00735.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 384
Here is some oil pan surgery grafting the truck pan rear cap section into the customers A-body pan. It uses a one piece Magnum gasket and worked perfectly. My good and talented fab expert Bob Bois executed this marvellously. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20140801-00724.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 356
Here is video of the last 4 pulls on the EFI. I used varying acceleration rates so the system could "learn" better. Would somebody be so kind as to embed for me? J.Rob

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xs2HJrRGyo"]318/360 crank stroker with EZE EFI (383hp 400 ft/lbs - YouTube[/ame]

That is very impressive ! Perfect for a car that will be used for long road trips . Will be interested on the mpg it gets . You're close to Ottawa right ?

Nope closer to Valleyfield Qu on the 401. J.Rob

...what is it about that bore stroke combination that the Gm and Mopar engineers like so much?

...what is it about that bore stroke combination that the Gm and Mopar engineers like so much?

Flame propagation and a lot of analysis that supports their findings. Basically--efficiency and emissions friendly. Big strokes are for diesels and stationary engine purposes. J.Rob

..i think that this or even the 347 style build would make more guys happy than the large lumpy cams that are inefficient and make power at higher rpm
.. a stock cammed 9.5:1 340 pulls hard from street light to street light and got decent mileage too.

..i think that this or even the 347 style build would make more guys happy than the large lumpy cams that are inefficient and make power at higher rpm
.. a stock cammed 9.5:1 340 pulls hard from street light to street light and got decent mileage too.

You are right on the money. I am finding that the majority of builds favour driveability and mileage over outright power. I push myself to achieve both. It is not easy on ones ego. Building a serious drag engine or high HP performance build is actually kind of straightforward because all parties involved understand and accept the compromises. J.Rob

-
Back