318/727 Parts

-

wes beem

Reaction score
I have a 1970 dodge dart with a 318 magnum motor and 727 transmission. The car currently does not automatically shift on its own. Ive been told im missing some part that goes from the transmission to the motor that tells it when to shift. Thats what im looking for.

Can you possibly take pictures of the drivers side of the engine (mainly the carburetor) towards the firewall and the transmission levers (second pic shoot from the rear of car towards the front so we can help you get it right the first time?
Thanks

Last edited:
It still should shift automatically. Kim

I agree...

Even without the kick down linkages, the trans should still shift - not always at the right time, but it will shift....

There must be more wrong with it if it doesn't up-shift while in "D"...

If you shift it manually, does it shift? If it was missing the kickdown lever, it would shift into drive so quickly you might not even notice. As noted above, pictures might help

it shifts flawlessly on manual with the quicksilver shifter. It doesnt shift at all if you just put it in Drive

it shifts flawlessly on manual with the quicksilver shifter. It doesnt shift at all if you just put it in Drive
So does it just stay in low, or is it like it is starting out in high gear? Is it possible that you have a manual valve body?

it stays in whatever gear you put it in. if you put it in drive (3) it stays in high. if you put it in 2 it stays in 2. if you put it in low it stays in low

prev owner said car was originally a collumn shift. his son installed a piece of crap worn out B&M on the floor, and i replaced it with a brand new quicksilver.

It sounds like you have a manual valve body or a stock valve body that has been modified for manual.

How would i know this for sure? What would i look for?
Contact the previous owner or whoever modified the transmission. Is there a cable that attaches to the carb and is hooked to the transmission below? There should either be a cable or linkage and it should be adjusted correctly. If not, you can fry the tranny because of too low of pressure, unless of course someone modified the valve body for a full manual shift.

Last edited:
If the car starts out in the position the shifter is in, the kickdown most likely is not your problem if you say it shifts fine manually. It sounds like the valve body was modified for full manual shift. If the shifts are nice and crisp when you shift it manually, this would be my bet, as the tv pressure would be jacked up in the modification. If this is the case, you will have to shift it manually so you don't smoke the trans, or put a regular valve body back in it and eliminate the solid rod in the servo if it was installed, along with the proper kickdown setup.

If the car starts out in the position the shifter is in, the kickdown most likely is not your problem if you say it shifts fine manually. It sounds like the valve body was modified for full manual shift. If the shifts are nice and crisp when you shift it manually, this would be my bet, as the tv pressure would be jacked up in the modification. If this is the case, you will have to shift it manually so you don't smoke the trans, or put a regular valve body back in it and eliminate the solid rod in the servo if it was installed, along with the proper kickdown setup.

x2

-
Back