318/904 to 5.9L/4 speed

-

ryansiki

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 5.9L swap for my 74' Duster, and I'm wondering what needs to be done to the 5.9L in order to work with the 4 speed. What parts can swap from my 318 to a 5.9L?Oh and one more question: I planning on picking up a cast iron 4 speed, but am curious if its possible to buy a gear set from Brewer's and swap it for the overdrive set? Thanks

The 5.9 is externally balanced engine, so, the important parts are not swap able. Motor mounts and attaching hardware from the front of the engine will swap, drivers side issue aside, the bell housing and all the clutch material would swap if it were on hand to do so.

IMO, if you can get 5 spd overdrive unit, go for it. The 4spd OD (AKA stock unit) is not very strong for performance usage. But very good for daily drivers, mild bolt on performance parts and mileage.

No, not at all, though I'm sure there failure point is pretty high up the street heavy breather and performer range, it is the gears inside. The OD gear is not on the main shaft like the 833's 4th gears is, the OD gear is where 3rd gear is.

-
Back