318 air cleaner clearance with Airgap intake

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone has used an edlebrock performer air gap intake with a Eddy 600 CFM carb in a Valiant/Duster if it would clear the hood? If not with a standard air cleaner maybe a low profile?

Thanks much

The limiting factor is the electric choke. A 3/4" drop base is all you can use. Any more then that and the base will touch the choke and not lay flat on the carb. If Edelbrock makes a non electric choke version, you'll be able to fit a base with more drop.

I used a 14" base with a 1" drop on my 68 Dart 360 and modified it to clear the choke because I don't like the look of thin air filters. I had to grind a little rubber away from the inside of the air filter to clear the base modification. I've got a 3" tall filter on it and it clears the hood bracing. It's pretty tight though so that extra 1/4" helped. The center of the air cleaner is taller then the sides. The center goes up into one of the bracing openings. The outer(lower) area of the air cleaner is close to the bracing. You'd have to measure a stock air cleaner to see how much drop(if any) there is in the base and how tall it is overall.

So, with my 1" drop base and 3" filter, I'm close to the hood bracing. That means you might only have slightly more then 2" from the carb air cleaner mounting surface to the hood bracing.

2016-04-07_20.41.41_zpsbedgor6g.jpg

thumbnail_DSC03692[1].jpg

Last edited:
Bought a carb with a manual choke, I live in southern CA really no need for a choke here.
Im with you there, I don't like how the thin filters look either. Sounds like there might be some room then.
I just saw the intake out of the box today and first thing that came to thought was that's a tall intake! Appreciate the info.

Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone has used an edlebrock performer air gap intake with a Eddy 600 CFM carb in a Valiant/Duster if it would clear the hood? If not with a standard air cleaner maybe a low profile?

Thanks much
I recently installed my newly rebuilt 340 and an airgap w/ Holley 4150 (650 DF-DP). the carburetor would not clear the hood. So I installed a 1 Inch spacer and reinstalled my K&N air filter. Now I am going with a modified hood and a 340 Hemi Dart scoop

IMG_0278.JPG

318/Airgap/holley 3310-4160/Edelbrock 1223 air breather

My 73 dart sport with 340, air gap intake, AVS2 elec choke carb and stock 340 air cleaner. Everything fits perfectly.

Edelbrock AirGap has larger intake ports (340/360 size) than a 318 head. Mismatch not in your favor. Just sayin.

Find a Edelbrock LD4B or a Weiand Stealth that’s almost a copy of the LD4B if you care about port size.

Edelbrock AirGap has larger intake ports (340/360 size) than a 318 head. Mismatch not in your favor. Just sayin.

Plan is to widen the ports on the head to the intake and have them taper in. Id rather have an air gap in case I ever go 360 route or change the heads.

-
Back