318 auto on column to auto on floor

-

70dusta

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one could help me with some basic guidelines on how to change a 318 on the column to on the floor thanks

I think 70 is when the woodgrain console started. Year one has replacement woodgrain inserts. Consoles come up on ebay all the time, but the brackets (3) are kinda hard to locate but keep looking. There are dimples on your floorboard where the brackets go and where to drill. Don't forget the linkage piece that goes under the trans for the bottom of the torque shaft. The little torque shaft bushings are still available at your local Dodge parts dept. Get then to tighten up old, worn bushings. When you go to swap steering column, you don't have to swap the ENTIRE column ($$). Go the the JY and look for 4-spd DODGE trucks up thru 80's. There are 3 pieces on the steering column collar what are direct-bolt ins to replace your auto-on-the-column pieces. The truck pieces only have the key on right side (no gearshift lever). I got a set today at local yard for 10 bux.

49T&C

or you could convert and put a b&m floor shifter like a guy did to my car, but unfortunatly he kinda hacked it up pretty bad :silent:

I asked the same thing. Check my thread on the transmission forum. If you chose to take the 'non-console' route -I have been advised to use Cheetah SCS auto trans.
Check it out!

No one has mentioned the switch for reverse lights. It can be a factor if shifter mounted OEM. Not so if trans mounted (incorperted to neutral safety switch).
I will have 6 complete 3 piece bracket sets for automatic consoles (includes shifter stand and 6 of 2 piece bracket sets for manual shift consoles available
Jan. 01-08 if not before. These are in production and comming along nicely.
3 piece set will be priced @ 108.00 plus shipping and 2 piece set will be priced 33.00 plus shipping.

-
Back