318 automatic, 3 speed, slant six, your perfect choice for a daily driver

-

bayyum

Reaction score
what do you think would be the best combo, 318 or slant six, automatic, or 3 speed lets hear the opinions

Well A Slant Six would be cheapest for gas wise for a daily driver. However, my '73 is my daily driver. 318 auto and I really like the set-up. Pretty good on gas too!

318 with mild cam, ThermoQuad, and dual exhaust hooked up to a 4-speed OD manual with 3.23's in the back. Same combo on a slant-6 car would give even better mileage but probably wouldn't have enough power for someone who appreciates it.

I have never gotten better than 17 out of a slant 6 engine and the totally suck on power. I HAVE gotten 20 mpg's out of a 360 in a '79 Dodge Magnum with a 904 and 2.76 gears with 235/60/15's on all 4 corners.

And it has power.

Death to the slant 6 boat anchor!!!!!!!!

71 Duster Twister with either a 318 or /6 and a 3 speed on the floor.

A slant with a stick shift, 3.23 gears and stock height rubber is fun and economical. But it has to be light, that is no shock bumpers, A/C etc. That stuff needs a 318

I hate the Slant 6...bulletproof my butt I've blown 2 up in 3 years, and both had proper oil, oil pressure, and everything was taken care of...I babyed that thing and never got above 70mph cruising back and forth to school...but they blew like crazy.
now building a 450hp 360 with a 727 and 3.55 gears...that'll be the daily driver when done.
The best daily driver is a car that YOU enjoy driving and maintaining, whether its a pitful Slant 6, or a blown, nitro Hemi, if YOU enjoy driving it every day, its the best daily driver

I hate the Slant 6...bulletproof my butt I've blown 2 up in 3 years, and both had proper oil, oil pressure, and everything was taken care of...I babyed that thing and never got above 70mph cruising back and forth to school...but they blew like crazy.
now building a 450hp 360 with a 727 and 3.55 gears...that'll be the daily driver when done.
The best daily driver is a car that YOU enjoy driving and maintaining, whether its a pitful Slant 6, or a blown, nitro Hemi, if YOU enjoy driving it every day, its the best daily driver

That's true. I personally would rather sacrifice a little fuel economy to have more than enough power when "daily driving"; I get really pissed off driving an underpowered car around town, whether or not I'm getting 35 MPG.

Both my Darts need work now, so I've been driving my '69 Charger R/T daily for months now. I can't see having to drive a small block every day again. Good thing the '69 Dart's getting a 500" motor. I think I'll have to give the '64 to my daughter. So what are your goals? Do you like some power under the hood, or is using as little gas as possible the goal? How about telling us what MPG you want, and then see what combos people have that meet that goal.

i would like to get 25 mpg, if possible, in my dreams, but i want a little power, i have driven some chevys and i couldn't stand it (not very much power)

My Barracuda has a warmed over slant, a 904 and an 8 1/4 with 3.53 gears.
I love it.
Then only thing I would change would be to make it a 4 speed with AC.

my 74 duster slant six is getting 18 mpg mixed driving, that is city highway and putting it to the floor at least 2x per day. i put the super six and a 2.5" exhaust on it. the exhaust smells rich i think it will get 20 when i work the bugs out. it really isnt that bad for power between the ported exhaust manifold with opened up outlet, the 78 2 brl carb and exhaust. it made quite the difference in power. its an auto, i bet a manual od trans would help.

The 318/904 combo in my 74 Duster got about 20 mpg driving in mixed traffic. Untill I took it out for a 360 now its getting 0mpg till i get it all finished

I daily drove my 74 duster for a year. It had a 318/904 and 2.43 gears in a
8-1/4. It got 16mpg mixed hwy/town with the factory Ac running. It ran a 16.4 with a one tire fire. :-D
It was alot of fun to drive. Not fast, but peppy and it sounded good.

The slant I mentioned above I believe will out perform it by the butt dyno and gets 19mpg mixed hwy/town. No Ac. though. I would drive either one everyday if it had a 4 speed.8)

I would rather have an auto where I live. the traffic is bumper to bumper all the time. don't get me wrong though, about anywhere else I think I would go 4 or 5 speed all the way. as far as engine I think the added power of a V8 is better suited to todays freeway speeds.

-
Back