318 build #2 "cost minded" for the '74 Duster

-
Maybe on the cam, but I wouldn't start with it. Seems that is not all that uncommon on the magnums. Maybe the factory just let it go means it a roller. Lifters I'll have to clean and inspect. I have other lifters if I cannot use them.
I had the same issue on my 318. Just changed the one that was on that lobe when I did my cam swap. The rest cleaned up and felt fine. 11k miles so far and no noises or issues.

1D90EA1A-BD25-4209-92F8-53C735B72891.jpeg

Page 12, just trying to keep the current parts list on every page so those joining late can quickly view where we are at.

'94 5.2 magnum engine
* 20-745-9 Comp Cam Roller
* Hughes Spring Kit with 1110 springs (springs/locks/retainers)
* Weiand Stealth Intake 8022
* New EQ-CH318BA Heads - factory replacement with LA bolt pattern. Not the "better performing early ones" from New Zealand, but todays China castings.

Also, we have torn the top half of the 5.2 down including cam and lifters. Cylinder walls still have factory hone marks and rocker assembly were not rusty, but a little gunky. Had a time of it removing the lifters because of tarnish. Onward!

Just wondering and as you know, I'm a lazy back reader. What are your plans to even out the valve stem heights?

Just wondering and as you know, I'm a lazy back reader. What are your plans to even out the valve stem heights?
Means all the exhaust valves were the same and all the intakes were the same, probably nothing would need to be done. But there is more to come on the heads......

Learn your fraction/decimal equivalents. That’s just over 1/32 of an inch
I pointed out it was a joke... I understand it's just the factory down in the hole...
Thank you for pointing out what I need to learn...

So we removed the oil pan and oil pump, then removed all the rod caps, and 2 of the main caps. Nothing surprising here. Barring anything shocking under the other few main caps, the crank looks to be in good shape. The bearings looked average to me, and I'm sure the bottom was good. We'll replace the rod bearings, and I might even re-use the mains IF the others look like the two pulled. BOTTOM LINE is simply the bottom end of the engine looks good and thus the build of this 5.2 marches on
:thumbsup:

So we removed the oil pan and oil pump, then removed all the rod caps, and 2 of the main caps. Nothing surprising here. Barring anything shocking under the other few main caps, the crank looks to be in good shape. The bearings looked average to me, and I'm sure the bottom was good. We'll replace the rod bearings, and I might even re-use the mains IF the others look like the two pulled. BOTTOM LINE is simply the bottom end of the engine looks good and thus the build of this 5.2 marches on
:thumbsup:
As clean as it was under the valve covers and intake, Im sure you wasn’t surprised.

As clean as it was under the valve covers and intake, Im sure you wasn’t surprised.
From this point on, it will be cleaning, prep, and assembly. We really want this built before Spring so we can install it as soon as the weather gets decent.

Crankshaft is out, we are working on polishing the journals.

Last edited:
Just placed an order from Summit. Some stuff was available and will ship right away, other stuff looks like it's projected to go a few weeks out. Should be interesting. Oh, the order consists of some gaskets, freeze plugs, timing set, a few bearings... Should have everything now.

Great find in those new EQ heads!!

I’ve been in this business for 33 years and have never seen that much crud come out of a new head(not even close).

That’s why you should always check them out.

So the heads are at the machine shop. All the "vitals" are being checked. Also add timing chain, bearings, gaskets to the list....

Page 12, just trying to keep the current parts list on every page so those joining late can quickly view where we are at.

'94 5.2 magnum engine
* 20-745-9 Comp Cam Roller
* Hughes Spring Kit with 1110 springs (springs/locks/retainers)
* Weiand Stealth Intake 8022
* New EQ-CH318BA Heads - factory replacement with LA bolt pattern. Not the "better performing early ones" from New Zealand, but todays China castings.
* Melling double roller timing set
* Bearings
* All gaskets and freeze plugs

Last edited:
I pretty sure you will meet you ET goals, but 20 mpg???

I pretty sure you will meet you ET goals, but 20 mpg???
There is a good chance I'll miss both .... :D 13.9 is a tough run for a 2.94 geared/stock converter 318 - - - with no headers !!!!!

Finally, something happening on the 5.2 We pick up the heads tomorrow. :) This has been the hold-up on the 5.2. Well, that and we switched our attention to the 440 - in - the - magnum - swap :D

now we can move forward with the 5.2 build for the "Change and Challenge" Duster. AFTER we get the 440 in the '79 Magnum :D

Last edited:
I checked out your recommendation on Hughes 1110’s and maybe they’re out of stock? Can’t seem to buy those things anywhere. Seems perfect tho, thanks!
Edit: TBH I have been trying for months and finally…(asking for help musta scared them). Mopar -or no‘doll’ar might be more accurate (we’ll see if I get them tho B&R wrecking owes me control arms) sorry to Bork up the thread. Luv y’all!

Last edited:
-
Back