318 build #2 "cost minded" for the '74 Duster

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Because I'll post as we go, and it will be slow going, this thread will most likely be off the rails, but I'll try to update as we go so here it goes..... Not a specific budget but keeping it cost effective.

Goal: Run 13.9's and get 20 mpg. No headers. 2.94 gears. stock torque converter/904. '74 Duster.

Engine: 318 magnum. Hoping to use the entire stock rotating assembly. We think we have most of the components including cam, intake, and ordered valve spring components today. Most likely use the magnum heads but still think'n some on LA 360 heads we have. I have both. Cam is a .480 lift with 1.6 rocker and 212/216 @ 050. Intake will most likely be the Weiand Stealth.

Oh, before somebody throws out there "NOS".... sorry, not using it.

I'd run headers because you CAN find some inexpensive and they do help SO much. Just a thought.

Should be a fun "over the winter" build. Hope to drop it in the Duster come Spring, and make a pass at the track. We'll have to get the engine apart to be sure everything is ok, been sitting quite a few years.

The purpose of this is to share our build so somebody else can use some or all of the ideas/parts. The "low dollar 318" build 6 years ago is still getting positive responses in emails and PM's as many have implemented some of that build into their own. I'm just glad it was able to help some folks (and continues to do so). I hope this will be another "option" or "template", not to the knowing, but to some still learning.

Cool build, the "no headers" is going to be the biggest hindrance in your plan, imo. In both mpg and et....doable though

Cool build, the "no headers" is going to be the biggest hindrance in your plan, imo. In both mpg and et....doable though
We could easily end up at 14.4's and 17 mpg, that's for sure. But were going to try.

See through mufflers and clean the manifolds as much as you can reach probably pick up a lot.

Get the block decked to get pistons to zero deck height to get compression up, quench, and to help efficiency and power.

Headers help a lot. We don't want headers on this car. It has manifolds and 2.5 duals out the back.
I had one I used the stock a body manifolds on. I spent a couple hours with a die grinder to open them up and remove restriction where they pinch way down.
Unless you are using the 340 manifolds that flow better it would seem well worth your time.

I hate straight thru mufflers but if i stay with manifolds ill use those to try and help the exhaust. Headers would be the last change

Because I'll post as we go, and it will be slow going, this thread will most likely be off the rails, but I'll try to update as we go so here it goes..... Not a specific budget but keeping it cost effective.

Goal: Run 13.9's and get 20 mpg. No headers. 2.94 gears. stock torque converter/904. '74 Duster.

Engine: 318 magnum. Hoping to use the entire stock rotating assembly. We think we have most of the components including cam, intake, and ordered valve spring components today. Most likely use the magnum heads but still think'n some on LA 360 heads we have. I have both. Cam is a .480 lift with 1.6 rocker and 212/216 @ 050. Intake will most likely be the Weiand Stealth.

Oh, before somebody throws out there "NOS".... sorry, not using it.
Your inbox is full

Ok, hint
IF your running LA heads
image.jpg

I had no complaints with a Torker340 II. I has always used a cam that was making power above 2800 with it except one with a 218@050 cam. Still had no complaints.

-
Back