318 build #2 "cost minded" for the '74 Duster

-
Since there falling out of the trees right????

Plan is to use the manifolds and exhaust on the car currently.
Why? At least let half of the engine run better. lol. That brings up another question. I have to wonder how one bank flowing better than the other bank effects performance.

Why? At least let half of the engine run better. lol. That brings up another question. I have to wonder how one bank flowing better than the other bank effects performance.
Because that's how he does things. Boxes himself in with stupid little boxes so he can prove to the world he can do it "his way".

he only needs 270 hp and a killer 60 ft time to run 13.9@98
manifolds wont matter much at that power the free flowing exhaust cheats it
harder yes but doable imo

Because that's how he does things. Boxes himself in with stupid little boxes so he can prove to the world he can do it "his way".
Actually, the answer was already given. They are on the car already. Full exhaust.

For those that don't know, this is part 3 of the "Change and Challenge" Duster.
1. Rear end was swapped and the stance widened.
2. Front seat and carpet addressed.
those were the "Change" part. They are done. Now the Challenge part. We all know I could order a custom-built converter for 900, then add headers, then run 3.91's with a A500 OD tranny, then........ you get the point. No challenge, just a bunch of money and time.

This is how we are going to do the project, win, lose, or draw. Hopefully we'll learn something in the process, and somebody may find what we learn useful.

he only needs 270 hp and a killer 60 ft time to run 13.9@98
manifolds wont matter much at that power the free flowing exhaust cheats it
harder yes but doable imo
stock converter and 2.94's, I'm not sure on the killer 60 ft time, Ha! We'll see. We have parts and more are on the way. Should be fun regardless of the outcome.

Will you be cleaning up the ports and bowls on the heads? You've inspired me to give that a go on my 360 build. 65'

Will you be cleaning up the ports and bowls on the heads? You've inspired me to give that a go on my 360 build. 65'
Once we have 100% decided on the heads, we'll give them opportunity to work with the cam. Probably some clean up in the least, and a 3 angle valve job.

Thanks, I have them too, but i'm sticking with the exhaust on it.

Your exhaust system with stock manifolds will be fine.

Proof in the Pudding.

IMG952019030995103236847.jpg

Over winter? Oh lord, where is the fast forward button? I just can’t wait. I hate waiting for punch lines to jokes as well, but not this much.

I got nothing... Never tried for fuel economy.. best I ever tried for was pump gas....
I think the 13.9 will be the easy part, the 20 mpg not so much... I'm assuming that's at a steady 55mph?...

I got nothing... Never tried for fuel economy.. best I ever tried for was pump gas....
I think the 13.9 will be the easy part, the 20 mpg not so much... I'm assuming that's at a steady 55mph?...
20 down our single highways, going through small towns. I think 13.9 will be the tough part with the 318 because of the 2.94's, stock converter, and no headers. And trying for the 13.9 will make the 20 mpg a tad difficult as well. email says another package should be in today !

To be honest, some of what we learned off of our van project (those 318 heads) will be applied to this project.

-
Back