318 build #2 "cost minded" for the '74 Duster

-
All of these numbers and what it should do math is something I’m not use to doing. I’m not sure most people get it ether. While I’m not so concerned at the moment, I’ve had people tell me my car should ET or MPH the same with 2.94 or 3.55 gear. So I say (just fishing for fun) it should pick up 4.10’s. The over all answer was no.

Yea, the car meet crowd…. Such smarty pants they are.
I’ll stick with the been there done that guys.

All of these numbers and what it should do math is something I’m not use to doing. I’m not sure most people get it ether. While I’m not so concerned at the moment, I’ve had people tell me my car should ET or MPH the same with 2.94 or 3.55 gear. So I say (just fishing for fun) it should pick up 4.10’s. The over all answer was no.

Yea, the car meet crowd…. Such smarty pants they are.
I’ll stick with the been there done that guys.
most of the been there done that guys use the math
its how nhra factors cars and classes
you weigh this much you run this mph in the quarter you have x hp
if you weigh this and have x hp you should turn x et
everything else is tune and hooking
if you turn 107 in the quarter and run 14.0 you car is slow in the 60 foot bad 1st 100 feet but your 107 should be a mid 12 in an abody
the guy you are racing only tuns 100 mph but has a 1.9 60 foot you will be looking at his tail lights he most like beats you with a 13.6 ish
mph is what matters the rest is hook and tune
the car meet crowd say they 550 hp but the have 600 with secondarys
no offence mr rumble

None taken and thanks for the explanation.
I can still count on my digits how many times I been to a track. I was mostly in the back alley ways and Main Street when empty enough just horsing around and such.

most of the been there done that guys use the math
its how nhra factors cars and classes
you weigh this much you run this mph in the quarter you have x hp
if you weigh this and have x hp you should turn x et
everything else is tune and hooking
if you turn 107 in the quarter and run 14.0 you car is slow in the 60 foot bad 1st 100 feet but your 107 should be a mid 12 in an abody
the guy you are racing only tuns 100 mph but has a 1.9 60 foot you will be looking at his tail lights he most like beats you with a 13.6 ish
mph is what matters the rest is hook and tune
the car meet crowd say they 550 hp but the have 600 with secondarys
no offence mr rumble

Here is the cam card for the cam we are using. We are also using the Hughes spring kit with the HUG 1110 springs. Kit comes with springs, retainers, locks. Also from hughes we bought the cam snout extension kit so we can run an eccentric.
1665710019053.jpeg

63 close on the intake and lsa of 114 is going to weaken low end torque no?
what comp ratio you gunning for?

Does that cam card say the .480 lift is with 1.6 rockers?

I thought 1.5 was the "standard" gross lift calculation.

If it is, then that's a .512 lift cam with Magnum rockers.

Interesting choice same lift, split duration.

...5.2 Magnum compression ratio with the Mag heads that came on it should be posted somewhere, although I've not had the easiest time finding it.

...and the published numbers shouldn't be off, like the older engines were.

I'm very interested to see where this build goes.

...and how 3.23 gears might affect both ET and MPG.

Really nice 73 340 car in the for sale section. Great foundation. Numbers matching. 6500. It's gold.

Yeah, I saw that.

...and drooled a little.

There's also that triple black 4 speed car a lot closer to me, but needs more work.

Does that cam card say the .480 lift is with 1.6 rockers?

I thought 1.5 was the "standard" gross lift calculation.

If it is, then that's a .512 lift cam with Magnum rockers.

Interesting choice same lift, split duration.
Cam card says '93 360, so that would be a magnum with 1.6 rockers is what we are to assume. At least that's how I read it.

From the Comp site-

Xtreme Energy™ Computer Controlled 212/218 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler Magnum with 1.6 Rockers. Strong towing cam for the 360, performance cam for the 318 with better exhaust and computer modifications. (Note: 1992-02 w/ Stud Mount Rockers & Electric Fuel Pump, Short Snout)

First time I've seen that.

...but I don't hang out there.

From the Comp site-

Xtreme Energy™ Computer Controlled 212/218 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler Magnum with 1.6 Rockers. Strong towing cam for the 360, performance cam for the 318 with better exhaust and computer modifications. (Note: 1992-02 w/ Stud Mount Rockers & Electric Fuel Pump, Short Snout)

First time I've seen that.

...but I don't hang out there.
Yep! And I imagine that 480 will become about 460 with the factory geometry.

The a LA cam, lift calculations are based on the 1.5 rocker. The simple math is;

.480 / 1.5 X 1.6 = .512. It should not loose to much lift. But that may depend on what you think is a lot. I’d say it’ll go .500 no worries.

Common thought process is you can some duration this way. I hear 2*’s tossed around a lot.

lobe lift on the card .301x1.6=481
should turn 5500 rpm easy in 318 all else being equal

Yeah, I saw that.

...and drooled a little.

There's also that triple black 4 speed car a lot closer to me, but needs more work.
That gold one you could near bout do a scuff and shoot on. lol

-
Back