318 build combo's

-

D-mailman

Reaction score
Would like to hear some 318 build combo's for a street driven daily driver for my '95 Dakota. Looking for something in the 300-325 horse range and 350 plus torque range. Mild occational towing in the 2000 - 2500 lb. range , small trailer with couple of Suzuki's. Thanks.

Decked block, fresh heads, hughes magnum cam, and headers should get you close.

A dozen years ago, bear with me.
66 Barracuda. 8 3/4, 4.56, homemade spring pack with slappers, one legger. Homebuilt 904, stock converter gave me about 2800 on the brakes.
Engine: 318 4v from an early 80's low mile 4 door. All freshened up with a summiit kit.
P4529342 purple cam and lifters with crane springs. Home ported, matched to a performer with a 750 9379. Scratch built electronic ignition that started at about 18 and stopped at about 38.
This car was quick. 5.0 killer at the time. Drove it everyday.
Took several years to blow it up.

Do you have to pass emmissions testing in your area?

Is the engine in good shape now?

If you must and it is in good shape, IMO, bolt on a paxton and free up the exhaust as best you can.

depends, you can do it with stock pistons and milling, or good higher comp pistons.
then the cam, if you want low end towing...you might wanna stay in the 260* adv dur, look at comp cams and follow the recommendations, then keep the carb at 600cfm w/performer intake and get a set of headers.

300-325? if you're really just towing with this... consider 285-295hp more realistic but with a lot more low end torque

however.....if can buy some heads or get another 25-30cfm out of the ones you have...you can hit that 300hp range no problem and not shift the torque to high in the r's

I did a thread [another site] where I answer probably 100 different 318 build questions, it went on for pages and pages....there a lot of examples on how to build toward different power goals/usage's.

-
Back