318 Build For Now

-
Well, look at it this way. If you repair the block and it doesn't work you are now out on your time, the cost for the repair and a gasket set at the very least.

I would search around for another block. Seriously.

Where is the crack? If it's in a cylinder, a sleeve costs between 100 to 200 bucks. If it's anywhere else, it's toast.

Find a low mileage 5.9 magnum probably the best bang for the buck it pulls pretty hard in my Grand Cherokee in a A Body it would be a rocket. The old 300hp crate engine was a stock 5.9 longblock with M1 dual plane and on the dyno with headers made 320hp and the 380hp Crate engine was with M1 single plane and healthy cam and dyno 400+hp with headers.

if you still need a pan and pickup i have them out of my '72 duster with baffle welded in it, very important upgrade for stock pan. i also have a pair of open chamber heads with 3500 miles on valve job. ill sell it cheap to try and help you out if you need the stuff...

Thanks guys I know I should just ditch it but I just cant do it.I dont have the cash to buy a new one if I do I would be out a block I am just going to try to fix it and hope for the best.

Here are some pictures

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

Can you guys tell if its a forget crank

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

Might be a steel crank. Hard to tell. You're gonna have to find a REALLY good welder for that crack. I wouldn't hold out a lotta hope for it.

I am going to look at another 318 tommarro.But there is only like 3 360s on Atlanta CL and they are not quite what I am looking for.

Oh phfttttttt. I had forgotten you're in Georgia. We got tons of 318 blocks. You want me to ask Rodney what he wants for one? Probably have either a bare block, short block or a complete engine.

...or better yet, throw 2500 bucks at us and we'll give you back a 325-350 horse 318.

I think we can do a mild 360 for the same price if you're interested.

Cool, then why not just go with that? Building one motor is cheaper than building two.

Guy said it was in a 79 car with 20k miles and then scraped car and motor has sat for around 3 years

I wasn't gonna post here any more if you were going with the cracked block, but i'd like to just say be careful when checking these out. A red flag to me here is they scrapped a 20k mile car. I know it happens but i only want the best outcome for you.

We have plenty of good cores we'll guarantee to be good. If he cain't do that, I would look elsewhere. We have every part in stock to do your build. We can build it for you, or supply you with everything. It's up to you. You can deal with unknowns if you want to, but we are solid and stand behind what we have and do.

I wasn't gonna post here any more if you were going with the cracked block, but i'd like to just say be careful when checking these out. A red flag to me here is they scrapped a 20k mile car. I know it happens but i only want the best outcome for you.

Car was rear ended

Well the machine shop fixed the block they said it was in the water jacket.The did the thing were they put pins in it inseted of welding.
They said it was fine since it was not going to be a high hp and performance build.

I might put a cam in it just for sound not hp.The performance build we be a 360 later.I am thinking about the wiplash cam.

340/360 version http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...V2hpcGxhc2ggTXVzY2xlIENhciBDYW1z&partid=25114

318 version
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...V2hpcGxhc2ggTXVzY2xlIENhciBDYW1z&partid=25113

I am thinking about runing the 340/360 cam in the 318 becuse I like the rpm range on it better.What all will I have to do to be able to put the cam in it.I know I will have to put new spring in will there be anything else.

Thats great news! I was poised to mention a precess called stitching which uses no heat. Normally it is used on rare blocks,but I guess in your case it was cheaper than finding another block. And hey,too bad your not closer. I have a 360 block in my garage you could have for $50.

-
Back