318 build. what would you do?

-

Mopar318Guy

bear jew
Reaction score
i have a 82 318 with flat top pistons and who knows what cam. its got 4027598 heads on it. and a 650 Edelbrock. i have heddman headers for it. and i want to get the most hp and torque i can get for less then 1500 bucks. no nitrous. all motor. thoughts?:spam1: i love it

Alot depends on where the pistons sits in the cylinder. Are they at zero deck or down in the hole .100?

Don't believe everything they print in those magazines,they're trying to sell a product,what they don't tell ya' is how long those motors last,i know one of them went boom when they sprayed it,and the dynos can read whatever numbers the operator wants them to read,As for your original question if it were me, i'd replace that 318 with either a 340 or 360....

Yep long story short is that yuou will spend as much or more on the 318. As soon as you decide to go much more than stock, I would get a used engine for $100-200 from a junker or someone selling one. Make sure your convertor and balancer are for the 360 external balance type and build the 360.

No replacment for displacement!
You will have an instant 50-60 HP and 60 or so more ftlbs torque all things being equal.

Yep long story short is that yuou will spend as much or more on the 318. As soon as you decide to go much more than stock, I would get a used engine for $100-200 from a junker or someone selling one. Make sure your convertor and balancer are for the 360 external balance type and build the 360.

No replacment for displacement!
You will have an instant 50-60 HP and 60 or so more ftlbs torque all things being equal.
318s rev higher tho. im planning on makin a 384 stroker. 4 inch crank. flat top pistons. then maybe bore it .30 over with flat tops. 509/292 cam. i have a 650 edelbrock but i might get a 750 Holley. 727 automatic.. with a 4 inch crank it wont rev as high but it should have torque out the wazzoo. im just lookin for insight on what you guys would maybe do. but i dont want another engine for it. i have nowhere to ifnd a 360/340 for it. got a 440 but thats just too much trouble

318s rev higher tho. im planning on makin a 384 stroker. 4 inch crank. flat top pistons. then maybe bore it .30 over with flat tops. 509/292 cam. i have a 650 edelbrock but i might get a 750 Holley. 727 automatic.. with a 4 inch crank it wont rev as high but it should have torque out the wazzoo. im just lookin for insight on what you guys would maybe do. but i dont want another engine for it. i have nowhere to ifnd a 360/340 for it. got a 440 but thats just too much trouble

1) The stroker kit alone will eat up your $1500 budget. Then the other costs (carb, machine work) and you'll easily exceed twice your budget.

2) When you increase stroke to 4" from 3.31" you change the dynamics and rev characteristics of the 318.

3) How high do you plan on revving it? Most street motors are fine up to 6000-6500 RPMs and you can do that easily with a 340 or 360 AND hit the 400 hp mark.

I am interested in this thread as well. While it may be easy for a couple of you to go down to the local Mopar junkyard and pull a 340, the grim reality on the west coast is that I either have to buy a parts car or spend $800 on a 340 block to obtain the core, then another couple thousand for heads, headers, intake, carb, and internals. It's just not doable, never mind the extreme mileage decrease in going larger.

I am also interested in building a VERY mild 318, so thumbs up to those who are asking. :)

What's the hp and torque number your shootin' for.? Maybe you don't need a 360 just a good plan.

I'm in the middle of a 318 stroker build, and yes you won't get close to having it done for your budget of $1500...I'm using dished pistons with Magnum heads and the bottom end is $1k and change - that includes pistons, rings, rods and a cast crank. I think you'd be ok with the 650 (I am using a Holley 670) and cam sounds about right...

Dean.

my 318 in my Duster has been modified to some extent. 340 cam and valve springs, bored .30 over, edlebrock intake and carb, pistons are at "0" deck, compression should be at least 9.0. I still need to get my rear-end beefed up, but right now it has a 2.76 gear. Has a nice punch to it when the rpm's get where they need to be. Overall im happy with it.

i know the crank will set revving down alot. probly 5000 to 5800. and no it wont. im just buying the crank. im upgrading everything. but i doubt ill jit 1500. im having a friend do the machining in his shop

350 to 400hp and 375 to 420 ft lbs of torque. if its close like 330hp or 360 for torque ill be happy. but im lookin for something that wont kill my budget. and something that will teach these damn ricers whose boss. 2800 pound car with 400hp is bout 12 sec 1/4. im gettin 3.91 gears. basically i want 0 to 60 in HOLY ****. u know. i did get a job so i can now raise my budget a bit. probly 2000 max is what i want to spend on it. if i get to 2000 im just gonna find another motor.

1500 should be fine. im rebuilding it. 400$$ kit comes with all the **** i need. then the 260$$ 4 inch crank. 509/292 cam. 190$$ engine paint probly 20 bucks. and a new high rise intake is now on the menu. probly 200 too 300$$ and the heads will be stock. ported. and pollished. im sure the heads got really good flow. but the openings for heads are gonna need to be bigger. intake ports just a bit.

You can go by the Hot Rod Link that qwk_dust provided as a blueprint. But that is also assuming you'll be doing your own assembly work.

I would ping Goodysgotacuda. He has a good 318 build that runs into the mid 13's in a 73 Cuda.

Me and my son have 76 darts,I have a 360 and my son has a 318.we have about the same amount of money in our engines,just different combinations but close.The time difference in the quater mile is .004 of a sec.
I get 12.91 he gets 12.95 and he gets better 60 foot times,CI is not every thing.

318's were put in all sorts of Exotica such as Dusters, Darts, Scamps, Coronets, Belvederes, Fury's, Demon's, pickups, vans, Volares, Grand Fury's, Diplomats, Fifth Avenues.

I love how they are still very obtainable....and cheap because people only want cubic inches and not plentiful parts.

I would use a Roller Cam block and reuse the factory cam or get a custom grind from Comp Cams......my last 318 build I got a roller that was 228/230 @ .050", .520" 112 for $285.00

Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain.

Freshen up the 302 heads with some 1.88/1.60's and new hardware.

Edelbrock Performer with a 650 holley and your all set.

Check this out...I read that you don't want NOS, and you want to stay all motor but....this is what I would put your $1500 towards: http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/Mopar.html

Would make a nice little runner for chump change.....when it throws a rod out the side of the block (if it ever does)....another long block is only like $100-300 away!!!

EZ there they are just trying to help you out. But I do know if you are looking at 400hp with a 318 you should look into a good set of heads. That is wher the power is I don't know if any stock heads will get you there with out porting and a big cam. What are your driving requirements? Is this a street,race, or street/strip car?

Actually, IMO, Prine has a good idea and makes a good point.

You on the other hand are all over and not steady at all in your thoughts and direction. It seems "You need to get with the program" on your direction and budget.

In order to take off quick, you'll need a hi stall converter, gears and a good suspension to get the package to move out of the hole quick.

i sed im not buyin a new motor. get with the program

Look Mr 15 post guy, dont come on this site with disrespect towards our members. This isnt that kind of site. You need to leave your tude at the door. We are all about respect here, keep talking like that and you will be shown the door.

i want a car that ppl think is a pos but really is a sleeper. something to take on big block chevys and pontiacs. 460 fords and 351s n ****. its got 63cc heads with 1.78 1.50 valves. i think 1.50 is right. 4027598. im thinkin 509/292 cam. port polished heads. flat tops .30 over stock. high rise intake with a 650 carb. and a 4 inch crank. that should get me there. for right about 1500 on the money

-
Back