318 Build

-
A complete engine? What is the end goal after cutting the $5k check?

Also, what's the goal of the build?
I'm just wanting a cruiser that has decent power, I'm not looking for a 13 second car. Goal is for the engine to have good throttle response and low to midrange torque.

I'm just wanting a cruiser that has decent power, I'm not looking for a 13 second car. Goal is for the engine to have good throttle response and low to midrange torque.

Do you have a particular crate motor in mind? I'm not sure how many people are offering 318 crates.

I highly recommend blueprint engines, but they are definitely more performance oriented and so may not be in your budget. I love my blueprint stroker.

If I were you, I'd try to find a 5.9 Magnum and swap an air gap onto it with a 4bbl. A Magnum engine is not likely to be as worn out as an old 318, and in stock form will do exactly what you're looking for. Atk offers bone stone rebuilt long blocks that may be a good fit, but I have zero experience with them.

Do you have any local machine shops? I'd try to find one and see what they may be able to do to build you something.

Do you have a particular crate motor in mind? I'm not sure how many people are offering 318 crates.

I highly recommend blueprint engines, but they are definitely more performance oriented and so may not be in your budget. I love my blueprint stroker.

If I were you, I'd try to find a 5.9 Magnum and swap an air gap onto it with a 4bbl. A Magnum engine is not likely to be as worn out as an old 318, and in stock form will do exactly what you're looking for. Atk offers bone stone rebuilt long blocks that may be a good fit, but I have zero experience with them.

Do you have any local machine shops? I'd try to find one and see what they may be able to do to build you something.
I fixing to compare prices between a crate engine and rebuilding my self. I have a machine shop in mind. I was thinking that running the 318 as is and looking for a 5.9 magnum

I fixing to compare prices between a crate engine and rebuilding my self. I have a machine shop in mind. I was thinking that running the 318 as is and looking for a 5.9 magnum

That's an excellent plan, in my opinion.

It will be cheaper to have it built local, assuming you can find a reasonable shop. Working local usually means you're having them reuse lots of your parts, rather than having to buy all new parts.

That's an excellent plan, in my opinion.

It will be cheaper to have it built local, assuming you can find a reasonable shop. Working local usually means you're having them reuse lots of your parts, rather than having to buy all new parts.
It's a well known machine shop not far from where I live. I'd prefer to be able to assemble the engine myself if at all possible that way I can check things out

What is it going in and how many miles do you have on your present 318 engine? What transmission and axle and gears? You should be able to make your goal happen with way less than your targeted budget.

Have you considered a craigslist or pick-and-pull 5.2 or 5.9?

There's your $5000 engine, I'm sure you could pick up the rest of the parts to finish it off for the remaining $2300 if your a savy shopper
That be awful close, a used intake is $300, haven't priced a carburetor yet. Water pump, oil pan, gaskets etc. I'm thinking like another 3200

That be awful close, a used intake is $300, haven't priced a carburetor yet. Water pump, oil pan, gaskets etc. I'm thinking like another 3200
After the core charge it’d be $3000 for the short block. So $2000 for heads, carb, intake, any peripherals like oil pump, gasket set, damper, flex plate, etc. If someone has most of that, the various covers, fasteners, it might could be done if frugal. I went from a slant six to a stroker and had to buy EVERYTHING, everything related to a small block as I had nothing...it was damn close to $8000 iirc I wasn’t frugal though, I bought what I wanted vs what I needed.

After the core charge it’d be $3000 for the short block. So $2000 for heads, carb, intake, any peripherals like oil pump, gasket set, damper, flex plate, etc. If someone has most of that, the various covers, fasteners, it might could be done if frugal. I went from a slant six to a stroker and had to buy EVERYTHING, everything related to a small block as I had nothing...it was damn close to $8000 iirc I wasn’t frugal though, I bought what I wanted vs what I needed.
I looked into going from a slant 6 to a small block and doing the swap correctly, I believe that it was going to cost me around 15-20k, maybe more as l had to get the engine, transmission, rear end. I figured that since the brakes would also need to be changed out I figured on changing the k member assembly. It's thing's like motor mounts,radiator etc that raises the cost of doing a v8 conversion. If memory serves me the entire cost including the car would've been around 30k. That may seem unlikely but like I said it's the odds and ends that add up quickly.

There's your $5000 engine, I'm sure you could pick up the rest of the parts to finish it off for the remaining $2300 if your a savy shopper
Did some research and I have to buy motor mounts too, as they are different for the 360. In the long run I think that it's still something to really consider. Cylinder heads are about a grand. I don't think that 2,300 will be enough as I have to pay a core charge too. But a 408 would be awesome.

I should've bought that '72 dart swinger a couple of years ago for 12,500. The slant 6 car was mint other than a small tear in the headliner and it went for 9,500. The cost to v8 it was expensive.

I'm glad I dont have to start from scratch.
Those are some pricey estimates.
That's why I don't want a project car, I don't mind a little interior work and rebuilding the engine but NO sheet metal work. At one time I did sit down and figure out what doing a v8 swap would cost and the estimate that I gave is pretty close. Stuff like the transmission coolant lines, cross member, all the little things that most people don't consider when doing a conversion.

I wish that I could afford a car that's done like I want, probably would be cheaper in the long run.

-
Back