318 Builds

-
Ah, no ya didn't. Y a might have ment it.......

Actually, yes, I did say exactly that.

So when the project is finished and you're comparing hp/tq - $$ spent, I think already having the 318 laying around is going to have proven to be a false savings.

See?

Doesn't really matter since some ethier want to build it or they do not have the money to go out and start reinvesting.

If you want to build a 318 to build a 318, then cool, just be aware it has more handicaps than are readily apparent. That's me actually trying to provide useful information..

If however, you're purely trying to make horsepower, then already having the 318 isn't really any kind of savings at all.
Check it out: If money is an issue, you want to get the most hp per dollar, right? If you've really got no money, you can't afford to rebuild a motor at all. If you're rebuilding a motor with rings, bearings, pistons and machine work, you've actually a couple thousand dollars to spend. In that case, $300 for a core 360 as a percentage of money spent will have an outsized hp/tq reward, which would seem important to a hot-rodder on a budget, wouldn't it?

Of course if the goal is something other than $$/hp, my argument doesn't apply.

One my take this as, if you aint got the moeny to mess around, don't build a teen and pretend.
So, if someone here wants to do something on the cheap, they shouldn't? This is what I'm getting.

Well, that puts a fair number of words in my mouth, instead of reading what was actually said. See above.

Whats wrong with hopping up a 318? If your answer is bla bla bla 340, bla bla bla 360, of for which we all know the answer, then dont bother answering. Thanks anyway.

There's nothing wrong with building a 318. As I said previously, they've been derided so long it would be fun to turn one into something. The sleeper appeal is awesome. I've definitely thought about doing it myself.

Why are you getting so overheated about it? You're like picking and choosing pieces of what I wrote (and twisting them) just to get pissed off about it -LOL.

Well, I see it this way. If people always went for what was the better choice, instead of using what they had already layin around, hot rodding as we know it would not exist. That's how it all started. You took what you had or what your buddies had layin around and made sumffin outta it. You start tryin to get picky and you lose track of the fact that it's all about fun.

are you having trouble letting go? because the more you post the more i see the "ford guy" coming out lol besides who cares, i thought this was a thread on 318 builds, not a debate on ford 302 hp/$$ vs. 318 hp$$. :D

No, I'm really happy with the switch. Mustangs are fast, and that is absolutely the only thing they have going for them. Even if you've got a fast one, at the end of the day, its just another mustang.

You are correct, this is a thread about building 318s. Someone posted, well 327s and 302s are great motors with a performance history, why not a 318?

My post was an answer to that question. I wasn't saying that Fords were superior to Mopars, I was pointing out actual real world design reasons why 302s (and 327s) run well and 318s, well, tend not to.

Not saying it isn't fixable, or isn't worth fixing.

If I recall, the OP's point was that more people are building 318's. Now I don't follow what goes on in the real world. But here on FABO, I have been noticing more threads devoted to builds, or asking questions related to the builds of 318 motors than I did even a year ago, when I first got my car.

In my case, I want a cool, reliable car that has a v8 sound to it. And I added rally mirrors and wheels to give some 340 flavor. But I really don't care about going fast, since I'm over doing that on the street, and have no desire to go to the track. I simply like the image. And the 318 is what came in my car. I added a little more image and sound with duals. I know it won't go any faster, but that's not my concern with this car. When and if the motor does have to come apart, though, of course I'm going to try and thoughtfully make it better than stock while I'm in there. I'm not against having power. This just isn't where I want to dump all my dough. And this is aside from the economy, but I'll admit I think twice now as a result.

318" s are good little motors, but they are usually built because of 2 reasons
1. thats what you got
2. they are a dime a dozen

mine was built for reason 1

Attachments

• 318.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 228
No, I'm really happy with the switch. Mustangs are fast, and that is absolutely the only thing they have going for them. Even if you've got a fast one, at the end of the day, its just another mustang.

You are correct, this is a thread about building 318s. Someone posted, well 327s and 302s are great motors with a performance history, why not a 318?

My post was an answer to that question. I wasn't saying that Fords were superior to Mopars, I was pointing out actual real world design reasons why 302s (and 327s) run well and 318s, well, tend not to.

Not saying it isn't fixable, or isn't worth fixing.

right, i just meant there both mouse motors, one is not much superior to the other in stock, or bolt on form, i would give the edge to ford when serious parts are thrown at it tho, just due to more aftermarket support.
and around here if you have a 5.0 with bolt ons,small cam, gear, slicks and a decent driver its around 8.50 to 9.20 in the 1/8th (thats being generous) , and a 318 could be built to run that fairly easy...

actually a decent 318 is more surprising than you think. in the late 70's when my grandfathers 77 powerwagon was new (still have it too, tryin for a resto this winter) my dad decided to race one of his buddys who had a new gmc 4x4 350 4bl with shift kit and headers, they raced 300 ft, in 4 wheel low and the bone stock 318 2bbl powerwagon out ran it everytime.
they have potential, i just like em cuz you can find em anywhere, and their tough. plus if you already have a running in decent shape, you can throw on some bolt ons and a small cam, and have a decent little runner fairly cheap.

Wow it's nice to see my thread has brought about some good discussions. This topic has become very interesting since the whole 5.0HO versus 318 debate seems to have been sparked. Let me say this gentlemen. I have an 88 Lincoln Mark VII with the 225HP 5.0HO and let me tell you it's a nice engine to have even in the heavy Mark VII. However modifying Mustangs up to 92 I believe are difficult because of the speed density issue. Sure the GT-40's will flow great at the higher RPM's but you're limited again with the speed density within the 88-92 range. Now the 318 in my Dart has milled heads and an RV type grind for a camshaft and I tell you it feels/felt good. Granted it's in a much lighter vehicle but it felt very torquey. Give me a beefed up 318 anyday over a 5.0HO with GT-40 heads and speed density.

I'm in the process of getting ready for a 318 build myself for my 66 Valiant. Made good power in my 71 Dart.
Also owned a 04 Mustang GT with the 4.6L....15.05 best run ever.
71 Dart w/318....13.90's all day long!!
No longer own Mustang.
Own 66 Valiant w/ soon to be 318.

cant you build a 390 stroker out of a 318??? anyone ever un a 390 stroker??? might be a sweet little motor with a pair of hogged out x/j heads!!

I recall even in the early days of FABO some members had the negative attitude towards the 318.

This thread is a constant reminder to all that do up a 318, that your basicly consider dumb and stupid for doing so by those that push the 340/360.
It only serves to show them as hypocrites since they didn't follow there own advice and stroke it to the max.

Good job boy's! Nothing like making your fellow MoPar brothers feel pushed aside.

This thread is a constant reminder to all that do up a 318, that your basicly consider dumb and stupid for doing so by those that push the 340/360.
It only serves to show them as hypocrites since they didn't follow there own advice and stroke it to the max.

Good job boy's! Nothing like making your fellow MoPar brothers feel pushed aside.

Yup and you know what's funny too? All the while the 440 boys are laughing at all of us for bickering over small blocks.

Being a Mopar guy forever let me say one thing, anyone who compares a 327 to a 302 as equals is smoking some good stuff. Pass it around. The 327/300 was the best engine in any era that the bowties ever built-PERIOD. Then they built a 327/350 and a 327/375 if my memory serves me right. New tecnology is great but the 327 comparably equiped stands with anything out there. The 318 has suffered from low compression. One point is 4%. So just pick up the 8% or so with good parts selection. It's the combo that makes the power, not the newest and greatest add ons since sliced bread. Pick your parts wisely and the teen will hold it's own with almost any other engine inch for inch. It won't wheeze at 5g's either. 7 plus is no problem if it can breathe. Been there done that. Got a teen on the engine stand complete and another waiting to get it's chance to turn heads.

cant you build a 390 stroker out of a 318??? anyone ever un a 390 stroker??? might be a sweet little motor with a pair of hogged out x/j heads!!

Yup, my ported 302 head 9-1 compression 390 in my truck would take your average A body with stock suspension and BFG's with a stock converter and 3.91's, and spin the tires 60 MPH or so in second until the pavement caught up, and give your date whiplash........

318's are my favorite Mopar smallblock, for structural and combustion reasons I'm not going to argue about again, yeah, they can run, sure, they can kill giants, and they have more potential to make torque than a 302 ford by design, not so much with the 327 though...... That said, I have built a 345 international that would spin 7500RPM and rip the axles right out of a travelall too.......

That said, the reasons for motor selection should be made by the one who actually is going to drive the car, and what he wants. Some may want a 273 or a 318 just because they do, just like I rather drive an 84 359 Pete over a 2004 379 Pete...........

I agree completely. For some reason the Chevy 327 and the Ford 302 came with the reputation of being excellent performance platforms while the 318 was considered "junk" by all enthusiasts alike. I recall even in the early days of FABO some members had the negative attitude towards the 318.
but 327s have factory hp ratings to 375 the 289 basically a smaller 302 less stroke good ones were 271hp 318s never came with any perf package.but you can make a nice engine out of a teen if you have a good combo or listen to someone like brian ,moper,etc.

Hey gentlemen is it just me or does it seem like more of us are doing 318 builds the last couple of years or so? I've been a Mopar enthusiast for a long time and for awhile it seemed like the attitude was "junk the 318 and go 360". Now it seems like many of us are building good 318's now. Am I correct to any extent?

whats wrong with a nice 318 im building one (not for an A body) but for my 1948 dodge coupe streerod stock bottom end a mid range mopar purple cam had some head work done but not much matched the ports intake and exh. a set od stock magnum exh. mamafoilds elderblock preformer intake and them picked up a B&M 144 BLOWER for it running 6lbs of boost 750 holly makes about another 150hp should be around 378/400 hp what more do you need for the street

-
Back