318 cam selection

-

Mark Benson

1975DodgeDartSwinger318
Reaction score
Rebuilding my '75 318 and plan on using one of the two Summit cams due to money issues. Part # SUM-K6900 or SUM-K6901. I want good low end torque as it will be my daily driver soon. Plan on leaving the stock 2.76 gears in the rear for best fuel economy. Which one will give it a lopey idle also? Thanks in advanced for any information.

I have a new 509 lift Mopar cam & tapper (Hyd Lifter) set in the box for $125 plus shipping that would be a good fit for what you are doing.

Would that cam be very streetable which is what I'm after? Also I plan on having the engine together by the end of the week.

Are you replacing your stock springs?
Anything over 500" lift will float your stock springs,and just be to much cam for a stock 318.
You are better off with a Comp Cam 252H or 260H.
Others have had very good luck with a stock 340 cam in a 318.
Mopar Performance 340 reproduction cam P4452782.

If I were you I would call Comp Cam and tell them all the info on your car,and see what they reccomend for a cam.Bet I wont be far off.

Good luck

Yes the comp cams would produce more torque. But there are many happy customers running the el cheapo summit cam. Theres 2 different ones,the smaller one would offer more low end torque and the bigger more mid range power. Either would work well with stock springs. I've run several cams that size with stock springs and never a problem. I dont think either cam would give a lopey idle but they will not sound totally stock either.

And if your looking for fuel mileage go for the smaller cam.

The 509 lift cam is overkill for a stock head 318. Pretty much a weekend warrior cam.

268/454 Comp Cams is a very nice cam, had the duster running 13's on street tires, I did buy springs with it!! Anything bigger I would go with 360 valve head, thats just me, have fun Don.

Would that cam be very streetable which is what I'm after? Also I plan on having the engine together by the end of the week.

Heeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll NO!

The bigger sumitt cam is what I would use and with the stock 2.76 gears, keep the smaller tire, BUT, you'll not have a lope to the idle, at all.

Use the XE252 Comp Cam for idle lope or the 262 for more top end.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll will just stick with the smaller Summit cam and let it go at that.

Heeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll NO!

The bigger sumitt cam is what I would use and with the stock 2.76 gears, keep the smaller tire, BUT, you'll not have a lope to the idle, at all.

Use the XE252 Comp Cam for idle lope or the 262 for more top end.

I agree with Rob here.

The .509 would be too damn much cam and would only have top end power. The XE252 and XE262 would be good low end torque cams for your gear, the latter producing more of a choppy idle.

I chose the XE268, which has a very audable lope to it and produces about 12 hg of vacuum. It has more top end and a higher peak torque than the other cams, but still retains good low end torque. I used it with my 2.76 gear for a while and stock converter, before switching to 3.21s. It worked well and it sounds great. I am using stock 318 heads with a slight cleaning, and stock 8:5:1 compression slugs. This is a good performance cam that sounds great in a 318, but if it was me, I wouldnt go higher. That is, unless it has more converter and much more gear (numerically higher) and was used at the track more often.

I would say, considering it all, if you were looking for the most aggressive cam you can run in your package, the comp XE262 or XE268 are your best bets. Otherwise, stick with the stouter of the two Summit cams.

Are you running stock heads? I'm thinking about getting a cam for my 318 to go along with a ThermoQuad/iron 360 manifold and dual exhaust, preferably off a pair of 360 manifolds.

To answer MOPEkidD-3 I am using the stock heads which will have some port & polish work and valve work done to them. Also any guess on HP/torque and fuel milage I might be looking at?

I have a new 509 lift Mopar cam & tapper (Hyd Lifter) set in the box for $125 plus shipping that would be a good fit for what you are doing.

Were did you get it at for that cheap? because im wanting the 484 instead but ill work with 509 (Working on a Drag Engine)

Were did you get it at for that cheap? because im wanting the 484 instead but ill work with 509 (Working on a Drag Engine)

A friend of mine was selling all his Mopar stuff because he and his wife had split up and I bought the New 509 cam and tapper set, a New 360 short block, a New SB Bell housing, a few Mopar Hurst 4-speed shifters and a rebuilt 4-speed.

The only things I have left is the New 509 cam and tapper set and New SB Bell housing.

If you are still interest please let me know...

To answer MOPEkidD-3 I am using the stock heads which will have some port & polish work and valve work done to them. Also any guess on HP/torque and fuel milage I might be looking at?

That would have been excellent info to let us know about before taking on ANY recomendations. Not telling the full story leads to poor selection.

The cam your picking is now to small. How small is up to how much work is has been done to the head.

My guess on mileage with the combo your up for is out right poor.

-
Back