318 challenge?

-

cojohnso

Reaction score
I have often thought that an A-body 318 challenge be organized here to see who has that racer edge?

318 block. No more and .030 over? Must be stock crank stroke of 3.312. Must be single 4 barrel carb naturally aspirated. No water or methanol injection to douse pre-detenation. Any pump type fuel. Including E-85/95 or AV gas.

Any head or engine component configuration allowed.

Any transmission and chassis setup allowed. However, must be on a production frame platform with VIN. (No turbo chassis.) Any rear end and tire combo. 2900 lb min weight. Car must of course pass track and licensing requirements. (But I'm guessing a car going under 9.90 would be the mark to shoot for?)

I think this kind of competition would be fun. Both winner and runner up must agree that a head be pulled to check cubic inch and other requirements.

Any thoughts?

I have often thought that an A-body 318 challenge be organized here to see who has that racer edge?

318 block. No more and .030 over? Must be stock crank stroke of 3.312. Must be single 4 barrel carb naturally aspirated. No water or methanol injection to douse pre-detenation. Any pump type fuel. Including E-85/95 or AV gas.

Any transmission and chassis setup allowed. However, must be on a production frame platform with VIN. (No turbo chassis.) Any rear end and tire combo. 2900 lb min weight. Car must of course pass track and licensing requirements. (But I'm guessing a car going under 9.90 would be the mark to shoot for?)

I think this kind of competition would be fun. Both winner and runner up must agree that a head be pulled to check cubic inch and other requirements.

Any thoughts?
2017 318 RACE !! .... please join the fun

I can post up the penaty box in a thread for a no name nationals event shootout (unofficial). Sorry for the thread hijack.

9.90 and quicker? You just knocked out 90% of potential participant$$$$$.

9.90 and quicker? You just knocked out 90% of potential participant$$$$$.
If he's talk'n 9.90's in the 1/4 mile with stock stroke, only .030 318's in 2900 lbs cars..... then we are talk'n lots of NOS or Boost.

If he's talk'n 9.90's in the 1/4 mile with stock stroke, only .030 318's in 2900 lbs cars..... then we are talk'n lots of NOS or Boost.
Yeah just like I said. $$$$$$$

Any thoughts?
9.90 1/8th im assuming?

9.90 1/8th im assuming?
With the rest of his post, he must be talk'n 1/4 mile. 9.90's in the 1/8 is pretty easy peasy. I ran 9.5's with the low dollar 318, 2.76 gears no headers. That was about as much of a punk build as you can find... LOL

Last edited:
Yeah. The 9 sec times from 318s that are heavily modified and power addered. (I'm pretty sure that's not a word. But in the instance?) But there are some decently quick 318 builds. I was once in a 225/6 Valiant that had some performance goodies that surprised alot of people. He was trying for a 13.99. And was close naturally aspirated.

Is there any money to be made in this endeavor ?

Is there any money to be made in this endeavor ?
Well that's real success question. It would need to have sponsors. And I'm not the best salesman.

Last edited:
Maybe let's say a 327ci challenge? That would allow 318 + .060. The Chevy boy's would be in for a fight? It would all be about head performance and options.

I say stock stroke 4 inch bore 318 for a 333 inch inch build. Add in some open chamber w2s and some positive deck pistons with lots of compression and that 9 second 1/4 mile NA package may be doable. It may be a 9.99 with a nine after it, but hey, as long as that first number is a nine!

Last edited:
I say stock stroke 4 inch bore 318 for a 333 inch inch build. Add in some open chamber w2s and some positive deck pistons with lots of compression and that 9 second 1/4 mile NA package may be doable. It may be a 9.99 with a nine after it, but hey, as long as that first number is a nine!
That really is the magic number for most all of us amateur racing. Anything under 9.90? Then rules really change.

-
Back