318 combo Any issues IYO

-

71dart318

Reaction score
71 dart 318 using mostly What came from PO. Wanting opinions on what I'm doin. this is what I'm using.
318 .030 over
Edelbrock 6077 RPM heads
Edelbrock 7576 RPM AG
Edelbrock 7177 cam
Quick fuel 650cfm carb.
MSD 8534 dist.
MSD 6520 6+ ingnition
MSD 8207 blaster ss
Edelbrock water pump
stock fuel pump
Seal pro 285ncp pistons
Patriot headers
904 tranny (stock I think )
7 1/4 rearend ( I know but all I got ) (no tag Don't know gears)

All you guys have been huge help. Getting ready to assemble it now and super nervous. Never put this much random stuff on at once. People say this combo will need high RPMS. Any idea performance wise, issues, expected HP/Torq?:burnout::burnout: This is what I got let me have it.

you WILL need a new torque converter. Around 3000 rpm if im not mistaken. And lower rear end gears. 3.73 IMO.

Put a Voodoo 60403 hydraulic in it instead of that Ede camshaft.

PM me, you'll need a limiter bushing for the MSD distributor that MSD doesn't make. :)

With the stock converter and 2.76 gears it will be a total slug!

At a minimum you'll want a LOT more compression. Start with KB167 pistons and a more reasonable cam like a Lunati 10200703 (the Eddy RPM cam isn't all that great).

Also seems a bit of a shame to spend the cash on those heads and intake and then strangle it with a 650.

how would I know what torq converter I have? Its out. drained tranny changed filter. Havent put it back yet.. Supposedly PO ran all this. bought it with bad lifter/cam . refreshed new bearings

PM me, you'll need a limiter bushing for the MSD distributor that MSD doesn't make. :)

this dist was in it before. Would I already have one? What does the bushing do?

how would I know what torq converter I have? Its out. drained tranny changed filter. Havent put it back yet.. Supposedly PO ran all this. bought it with bad lifter/cam . refreshed new bearings
IMO the higher stall converters are smaller diameter then stock . Spend some coin on a good converter, I have learned a lot from guys on the forum about this. Will make a loads of difference. 3000 rpm would be good with 3.76 gears. IMO.

great advice that ede cam in the 318 will run like you had a 6cly in it. But even the 403 vodoo will be too big for the stock converter.

Your engine still at the machine shop? Get those pistons as close to zero as you can and keep the compression up. It will make a world of difference, and is the only part of the puzzle you can't go back and redo without significant effort.

More stall and slightly taller gears later will help it a ton, but the compression will make it that much better now AND later.

-
Back