318 Converter Question

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I was just curious if switching to a different converter would get a little more pep out of the combination that i already have in my 73 Duster. For those who don't know, its a 318, stock heads and bottom end with an Edelbrock 4 bbl and Performer intake, Comp 260H cam, with about .440 lift, and flowmaster dual exhaust hooked to stock manifolds. The trans is a rebuilt 904 with a Transgo TF2, and ofcourse the 2.76 7.25 rear. The converter is the stock 1900 RPM stall unit. Can i benefit from a higher stall? How much stall? Its not a big deal, as im happy with it know, just curious in case i ever need to pull the trans out. Thanks.

yeah going to a higher stall will get u quit a bit more umpgh with harder launches. i just put in a 2800 stall tci and when i had the stock 2.76 gears its still launched hard and good. but honestly the drivability around town is a bit worse lol

higher stall and tall highway gears dont match. Depending on how loose it is you stand a good chance of it 'slipping' while at cruising rpm and even more so in town. Gearing would get you a much better bang for your buck at the moment. If you do up the stall, up the cooling system add another cooler/fan imo.

yeah getting gears would be a better idea. but good luck finding an 8 3/4 to put them in well thats if u wanna keep it chrysler. u could always find a nine inch that u could use...

MOPARJ said:
I was just curious if switching to a different converter would get a little more pep out of the combination that i already have in my 73 Duster. For those who don't know, its a 318, stock heads and bottom end with an Edelbrock 4 bbl and Performer intake, Comp 260H cam, with about .440 lift, and flowmaster dual exhaust hooked to stock manifolds. The trans is a rebuilt 904 with a Transgo TF2, and ofcourse the 2.76 7.25 rear. The converter is the stock 1900 RPM stall unit. Can i benefit from a higher stall? How much stall? Its not a big deal, as im happy with it know, just curious in case i ever need to pull the trans out. Thanks.

1900 stall is stock? I was under the impression around 1400 to 1500 was? (for a 904 trans, 318 setup) ?? Just curious?

2800 stall and some 3:91 or 4:10 gears will get you out of the hole is a heart beat. More than likely you will have to find out how to get your tires to hook up. LOL. I've been down this road before and went with a 1000 or so over stock converter and it didn't do much good. But when I went with the 2800 the car jumped out of the hole. But I did have 4:10 gears with a Auburn limited slip installed in the rearend. Also if you do go with a higher stall of any kind I would highly recommend a large trans cooler ran in line with the radiator cooler just like GoodysGotaCuda has already mentioned.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Some 3.91s, low gear set in the trans and a 3500stall dynamic gets my 318 out of its own way lol..

After you nail it one time how long do you have to wear the neck brace? :lol:

-
Back