318 day, new adventure

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So now that its been established that my poor junkyard 318 (the 72 dated block) needs over bored, I took it off the stand and to the shed it goes because it will absolutely be bored out and built but not today.

The next one on the stand is another 318. This one ran as of last summer when the trailer park residents lost their trusty valiant to pay for their drug habits. The car is meeting a slow death but gave us a running 318.

Despite running, it will probably need over bored but what old 60s or 70s vintage engine doesn't.

So in this episode we are going to clean, disassemble the valiant heart and micro measure it to see if its a candidate for a simple overhaul or if it needs a trip to the machine shop like most of its similarly dated brethren.

At least this will be easier to work with because it turns freely and doesn't have a mouse apartment under the intake and in the oil pan.

If this engine overhauls on the cheap then it will go on to power another A body. It might be a 75 swinger, crew cab dart, or maybe a duster.

So the adventure begins..... again

Happy 318 day

20220318_160544.jpg

20220318_160505.jpg

20220318_160926.jpg

20220318_160943.jpg

I'm still stunned at how solid the cars are in Southern Colorado. Your turning it into 318 haven down there !!

I'm still stunned at how solid the cars are in Southern Colorado. Your turning it into 318 haven down there !!
I had bought this car for 75 bucks to build a neat old 4 door, but it has some issues and right after I bought this, I came across a 68 valiant 4 door (the lada valiant) unfortunately the 68 has issues too and needs a torsion bar cross member which is going to be cut out of and salvaged from this 74.

I have no issue with a 1974 car but I do prefer the "shorty" valiant look which they made from 67 to 73. Starting in 74 the valiant was made longer and shared the lengthier body with the dart. From 67 to 73 it was completely different from the dart and had a classic 60s look about them like the one in the duel movie. :D

-
Back