318 engine identification

-

CarfinaticII

Under Construction
Reaction score
Took a break from body work last night and was looking at the 318 i got with my 72. Guy i bought it from said it was out of a 74 pickup. I brushed the crud off the front and got to the numbers stamped under the head. I found a post from KrazyKuda from 2014 that had a chart and was wandering if I'm reading it correctly. Most examples i came across had more numbers for the production code, like if it was the 68th one that day there should be two zeroes there. Just curious.

Also i read on here somewhere that truck motor mounts have 4 bolts and cars had 3. Mine has 3.

HM318R 37361 68

So is this is a 72 318?
Thanks

Engine ID chart.jpg

IMG_7115.JPG

What do the casting numbers say? One side of the block has the date of casting, the other has the displacement. Casting numbers are raised and are cast into the block, you have shown the stamped numbers.

Like d55dave,I look at the casting number on the side of the block.318 10/26/1984 According to the chart you have shown you have a 1972 318 that runs on regular fuel. Can't say anything about the 4 vs 3 mounting.
88truck_3.jpg

HM318R 3736 1?68 H = 72 M = Mound Rd plant R = reg fuel

The 3736 is the build date = Oct 20 1971

1?68 would be the unit that day

I don't think it's out of a truck

Took a break from body work last night and was looking at the 318 i got with my 72. Guy i bought it from said it was out of a 74 pickup. I brushed the crud off the front and got to the numbers stamped under the head. I found a post from KrazyKuda from 2014 that had a chart and was wandering if I'm reading it correctly. Most examples i came across had more numbers for the production code, like if it was the 68th one that day there should be two zeroes there. Just curious.

Also i read on here somewhere that truck motor mounts have 4 bolts and cars had 3. Mine has 3.

HM318R 37361 68

So is this is a 72 318?
Thanks

View attachment 1715295677

View attachment 1715295678

Does the 37361 numbers match your vin?

The raise text on the sides of the block are added at time/date of the casting manufacture. The stamped text is relative to the vehicle serial number added when the intended car is assigned. The text on the front of the block is relative to the assembly of the engine which consists of the block and additional components. To my knowledge the additional raised(cast) text and stamped are for bulk identity of the individual parts(interchangeable on the assembly line). So theoretically the block could be cast in July and assembled in September. The peripheral components ie.. pistons, crank, intake..ect are added base on the engine package desired

Last edited:
The raise text on the sides of the block are added at time/date of the casting manufacture. The stamped text is relative to the vehicle serial number added when the intended car is assigned. The text on the front of the block is relative to the assembly of the engine which consists of the block and additional components. To my knowledge the additional raised(cast) text and stamped are for bulk identity of the individual parts(interchangeable on the assembly line). So theoretically the block could be case in July and assembled in September. The peripheral components ie.. pistons, crank, intake..ect are added base on the engine package desired

Good Info thanks

HM318R 3736 1?68 H = 72 M = Mound Rd plant R = reg fuel

The 3736 is the build date = Oct 20 1971

1?68 would be the unit that day

I don't think it's out of a truck

Thanks! That's what i thought but wanted to confirm since the guy i bought it from said it was a 74. Just wanted to investigate and find the right answer. Gonna be awhile til it gets any attention but it was nice to step away from body work for a minute. lol

My interpretation of 37361 68 is:

3736 is thursday, april 20th 1972

The 1 68 might have been 168th engine built or ( just a guess) 1 = first shift 68 = 68th engine built

My interpretation of 37361 68 is:

3736 is thursday, april 20th 1972

The 1 68 might have been 168th engine built or ( just a guess) 1 = first shift 68 = 68th engine built

How do you come up with 4-20-72 ?

My calculator comes up with Wednesday October 20 1971

Does the 37361 numbers match your vin?

The stamped numbers on the front like this are the engines serial number upon final engine assembly.

It was stamped well before a partial VIN was stamped on the passenger side which occurred after it had been mated to a transmission & right before both went into a car as an assembly.

The stamped numbers on the front like this are the engines serial number upon final engine assembly.

It was stamped well before a partial VIN was stamped on the passenger side which occurred after it had been mated to a transmission & right before both went into a car as an assembly.

I have never seen that before, HM318R 37361?68 is a normal stamping.
the last 8 #'s with one missing or didn't get stamped deep enough to read
the first 4 are the julian date 3736 the date the engine was assembled, and the last 4 are production # that day, could be 1068 which is well within production #'s for a day. I have had 4 replacement blocks and they had 3, 4, or 5 digit #'s on the front under the head and no other #'s.

I have had 4 replacement blocks and they had 3, 4, or 5 digit #'s on the front under the head and no other #'s.

Replacement block numbers are not the same as those used in production.

-
Back