318 Hesitation

-

zapimpulse

76 Duster
Reaction score
As I was enjoying the beautiful weather today in my Duster, I noticed it began to hesitate if I would let off the gas and then step on it again. Then, when coming to a stop, it would stall out and be difficult to start..almost as if flooded. Sometimes it floods when I start it after it's warm which leads me to believe it's running rich. What's that sound like to you? I have a 318 w/ 500 4 barrel carb.
As far as tuning, how easy is it to adjust the fuel mixture? Is this something someone who's handy with tools and generally knows his way around could do on a weekend? Are you familiar with any good "how-to's" you could steer me towards? Thanks!

Check your float level first.
Then adjust your carb screws with a vacume gauge and try to get the highest vacume reading at the correct idle setting.( 850 rpm's)
Don't know what cam you have but 850 work's for most.
After the highest reading is set ,set your idle at what ever you feel is the best for driving your car.:hello2:GOOD LUCK!!!

If it floods during a warm start, that is usually a sign of your choke coming on too early. It's possible to adjust that out, but sometimes you just have to live with it. If you do have to live with it, just cracking the throttle while cranking usually helps it start easier.

Is there a spacer or something to isolate heat from the manifold from getting to the carb? The Edelbrock carbs are prone to heat soak and if warm enough, it may be perculating the fuel on its way to the carb, or in the carb.

Resurrecting the thread with same problem. Yes there is a wooden spacer.
Car will sit and idle all day. When i hopped in today after a half hour of idling it would hesitate off the line. Put it in gear and let it idle and it would soon stall.
New carb, new fuel pump, new filter. Revs fine in neutral, seems to hesitate under load.

check the accelerator pump....check squirter size...make sure the pump squirts are soon as you move the throttle

Might want to at least have a look at the plugs before getting into it too far.
They may not be capable of running right no matter what you do if they have been abused by the conditions.

Check everything as noted. Also, when was the last tune up? How are the plugs? Simple stuff first, before you slap on that MSD. lol

Thank you, I'll try looking into the above, pull the plugs etc. I'll report back.

-
Back