318 idles rough and stumbles bad on acceleration

-

ESP47

Reaction score
This is a 75 D100 with a later roller 318 and quadrajet that I bought a year ago and have done minimal work to. For a few months I was dealing with the strange problem of the truck only wanting to start when the key was released. Turned out to be either the reluctor or the pick up coil in the distributor. Seemed like some water got in the cap and the reluctor looked pretty bad off so my money is on it being the reluctor. Fired up nice after that.

It purred like a kitten before all this. Smoothest running Mopar I've ever had. Now it idles fine with the choke on, and pretty solid with the choke off although there's a slight bit of a stumble whereas before it ran smooth as can be. The problem is once I put it in gear the engine starts to idle fairly rough. When I get on the gas it gets worse. It's a roll of the dice whether the engine is going to die when applying throttle. It actually stumbles and runs like crap until about 35mph and then after that it runs pretty smooth although it sounds a bit different than it used to.

I reset the timing to 10* BTDC. Fixed a cracked vacuum cap that was leaking. Put a vacuum gauge on and it reads 21Hg at the intake tree. Healthy shots of fuel when the carb linkage is pulled. Compression is good, all cylinders within 10psi. Spark plugs all look healthy. Changed the rotor and cap when I did the above work. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? For what it's worth, a guy at my work who is pretty familiar with quadrajets said they can spring internal vacuum leaks but I don't know how true or common that is. Anyone have any ideas?

Failing spark plug wires. Years back my Brother had a 78 D100 with a slanty mill. It idled okay but fell on its face when put in gear, sometimes stalling. The plug wires looked okay but were apparently junk! I swapped another used set in and the truck ran fantastic!
Vacuum leak...? The Quadrajet has several screws holding it together. Check them all.

Quadrajet has a couple of bleed tubes punch staked into the casting. Those can just fall out. Seen this a few times. Symptom much like a failed accelerator pump, as in very slow throttle movement will work but rapid throttle movement doesn't.
Most memorable case... Years ago cousin Jack had a Chevy work van w/ 350 and q-jet. His fan clutch chit the bed, took out the water pump. Yeah he ran it hot. After the cooling part fix he had a new running problem. He drove it, lived with it about a month ( he and his crew depended on this work van full of tools ). When he finally did get it back here... 30 minute fix.

Before you do ANYTHING else count the turns it takes to bottom out the mixture screws then take them out.
Shoot a little WD40 or similar into the idle jet holes and shoot them with compressed air.
Put the idle screws back in all the way and them back them out the amount of turns they were.
This sounds like a classic case of a dirty idle circuit.

Do it or don't, your choice obviously but you might fix it in ten minuets and it doesn't hurt to blow those out once in awhile anyway.
The WD40 just gives substance to the air and carries more junk out.

Awesome, thanks fellas.

I'll start with the WD40 and compressed air and then throw on my spare set of plug wires. If that doesn't do it I'll check out those idle tubes. Did a little research online and it seems like they're a common problem for Chevy guys but they take a bit more work to get to.

-
Back