318 intake manifold advice

-

Donny

Reaction score
My plan is to purchase a F.A.S.T. EZ TB system for a future 408 build, but for now I have a stock 318 2bbl in my Dart, but I can still use the said TB system to improve drivability, and overall enjoyment of the car on a daily basis (not to mention take some of the bite of cost out of the future build by purchasing now), and to familiarize myself with the product and its use.

My question is what is the best solution as far as a 4bbl intake for a 318 (single plane preferably as this is a stock motor)? I'm insisting on a used intake simply b/c my 408 build will most likely require a dual plane so I feel it is a waste to purchase a brand new single plane now to never use again after a year or two goes by. Should I just look for a factory single plane or go after market, if after market are they all pretty much the same considering the intention of my swap? I really want to avoid over spending for this as it will be a short term use and this is not necessarily/solely about performance gain.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

My plan is to purchase a F.A.S.T. EZ TB system for a future 408 build, but for now I have a stock 318 2bbl in my Dart, but I can still use the said TB system to improve drivability, and overall enjoyment of the car on a daily basis (not to mention take some of the bite of cost out of the future build by purchasing now), and to familiarize myself with the product and its use.

The high lited question above is answer with a YES.

My question is what is the best solution as far as a 4bbl intake for a 318 (single plane preferably as this is a stock motor)?
A on the cheap single plane intake would be a street master or Torker II, perhaps, you can also find a Weiand single plane. Look here in the classifieds for these intakes. I know there in there.

I'm insisting on a used intake simply b/c my 408 build will most likely require a dual plane so I feel it is a waste to purchase a brand new single plane now to never use again after a year or two goes by.
I don't by that because a large stroker SBM could very well use a single plane intake with EFI. Of cuorse, your mystery build could change that opinion easy enuff. (NEW THREAD!!! LOL!!! )

Should I just look for a factory single plane or go after market,
The only factory single plane intake are the really old very low level 318/273 intakes. Itwould be easier to find a old aluminum one at a swap meet.

if after market are they all pretty much the same considering the intention of my swap?
Yes and no. Alot depends on the parameter of the build/performance intended from the engine and car. The above recomendations still apply.

I really want to avoid over spending for this as it will be a short term use and this is not necessarily/solely about performance gain.

It'snot???????? Could have fooled me with a EFI on a stroker engine, even if it is on a 318 now. And just learning about it. If your not looking for a great runing far superior performing engine thatgets more power/torque and mileage from your EFI, then I think your in the wrong house of thinking.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

My answers are redundant to your multiple questioned thread. I feel like your scattered all over the map.

Truly the best answer and advice below!

IMO, getthe intake you want for the stroker and use it on the 318. Save time and money. Driveabilty is not an issue and even more so since the 318 will be leaving.

My answers are redundant to your multiple questioned thread. I feel like your scattered all over the map.

Truly the best answer and advice below!

IMO, getthe intake you want for the stroker and use it on the 318. Save time and money. Driveabilty is not an issue and even more so since the 318 will be leaving.

Thanks for the input, my thinking on the 408 is simply I am probably going with a fairly decent cam .525-.550 lift and from my understanding a dual plane is a better fit for that cam scenario (however I'll let the engine builder, not me, decide). This 318, and I forget the year, is not a new build at all and is totally stock. Was in the car when I bought it last year. It runs decent and I am not against any performance gains mind you, just that I'm not concerned if there are any significant gains from the F.A.S.T. TB.

That is why I figured it might be best to just get a separate "disposable" intake for the 318 for short term.

If anyone feels a good hi performance dual plane will fit the bill for the 318 WITH the TB system than I am all for it as it will be used on the 408 in the future.

-
Back