318 Issues

-
you may have the correct firing order but do you have the #1 wire going to cylinder #1. if it has ever been messed with dont trust that #1 is where it should be on the cap. pull the cap off and put the engine at tdc on the compression stroke and verify the rotor is pointing to number one on the cap.

Ok, so here's the update. The coil checked out after the testing. It is fine. The firing order is correct (counter-clockwise) It is correctly lined up with the number one wire in the correct spot, I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it like crazy (turns out it needed it) and since then I can get it to pop about as loud as a gunshot up the carb with the throttle wide open (had to call it an early night because I have been working outside, so it got a few people outside and wondering what went on lol) but otherwise the car has made no other progress x.x

..... The coil checked out after the testing. It is fine......

Mine checked out fine too. Checked the resistance. It was within the specs in the book (Don't remember what the spec was, it was almost a year ago). It still turned out to be the problem. That's why it took me so long to figure it out. I finally gave up & just started swapping on parts from a parts car until it was fixed....PITA

But...There's still that clockwise/counter-clockwise thing...........

Your timing is off. No need to pull the distributor. Have someone turn the engine over to confirm direction of distributor rotation. Bring # 1 to top dead center with both intake & exhaust valves closed observing where the rotor button is located. Reinstall the plug wires one at a time starting with #1 in line with the rotor button, and follow the firing order until all wires are in place.

The car should start right up, and require only a slight timing adjustment of a few degrees if at all.

sounds to me like timing is way out, like 180*

If this is the case, be careful. Back in the day when I was starting out, I had a bad experience. I found out later that the timing was off 180º.

I was sitting on the radiator with my head over a big Holley on a full-race FE Ford with an acceleration problem. The distributor had been out to check the points and advance. I wasn't sure we were getting fuel from the accelerator pumps in the carburetor so I pumped the throttle while I rode a remote starter. All of a sudden the thing fired through an open valve igniting the raw fuel in the intake. Guys in the shop said it looked like I'd stuck my head in a flame thrower. Singed some of the hair on the top of my head. I lost my eye brows and eye lashes completely. LMAO now, but at the time it wasn't a bit funny. Oh yeah, got my nose hair, too. All I smelled was burnt hair for a couple of days, after that, my face peeled.

-
Back