318 LA hp and torque question

-
I almost suggested Magnum manifolds vs headers.

302s aren't that hard to find?? At least I didn't have any trouble finding any. I guess it depends on where you live or where you look.

PS - Just for fun I threw in a pic of one of my "machined" magnum manifolds next to a stock 318 manifold. The difference is DAY and NIGHT!!! That's why the exhaust sealing surface has to be so large on the 340 driver and the 360 passenger.....more FLOW!!!!
Treblig

I called just about every old junkyard I could get a number too, mopar city had a set but he wanted just about the same as getting a mag'd and rebuilt set of them from cmengines lol

If you can secure a set of the 920 casting heads from a 273, they're about the same specs, never heard of them cracking and nobody wants them (everybody wants 302 heads). Might look in to it.

If you can secure a set of the 920 casting heads from a 273, they're about the same specs, never heard of them cracking and nobody wants them (everybody wants 302 heads). Might look in to it.

Sounds like a good backup plan. This is my first time dealing with cmegines, the guy seems nice but there is a lack of communication. He never called to update me that the cores that they found were cracked and it's going to take more time or that they are having issues finding other heads, I had to call them and ask how the heads were coming along.

I called just about every old junkyard I could get a number too, mopar city had a set but he wanted just about the same as getting a mag'd and rebuilt set of them from cmengines lol
By a 150 dollar 318 (years 1985-1991) off of CL and there you have all the parts ya want

Im new to the mopar world so I would like to ask a question regarding my 69 notchback barracuda w/318 La. The book states this engine is 230 hp @ 4400 rpm and 340 lb torque @ 2400 rpm. It is bone stock with the orig. intake and 2 barrel carb and single stock exhaust. If I install a SP2P 318 edlebrock alum. intake and 600 cfm carb. along with dual exhaust what kind of hp and torque increase would I be looking at? Thanks
1st of all, welcome! 2nd of all, better off not worrying too much about horsepower. Best gains is what you will feel by the seat of your pants. Any performance gains going forward will appreciate dual exhaust. I personally have a Weiand action plus on a 318 right now and like it. The 318 I have is 100 % bone stock except the carb and intake. I will lay rubber all over the pavement and I shift it about 4800 rpm's, and it pulls well all the way there. Biggest thing for you might be your heads. Your heads do not have hardened seats, and if it had unleaded ran through it for thousands of miles over the years, then you may have a bunch of leaky valves and that hurts performance. A 340 cam size works well too. Time it, tune it, and tweak it.

I almost suggested Magnum manifolds vs headers.
Not a bad idea IMO.
I know how well the 302's port out. Don't known about other 318/273 heads.

Thanks everyone for the insight, I really appreciate it. We mostly want it to sound good and maybe be able to light the tires up somewhat when were at one of local curises. When the budget allows we would like to get a 340 someday. Again thanks for the help.

Rumblefish 360........I have heard that 318 application 302 heads with 2.02/1.6 valves and ported fully will only gain roughly 30 cfm on the intake port which puts them roughly equal to a set of same era un-ported 360 heads, flowing roughly 215 CFM on the intake port. Does that sound about right to you? Sorry to hi-jack but there seems to be a bit of controversy on what this head will flow.

Bob

Not from what I have read not what I know. I have read other head porters claim 240+ cfm. Check with a head porter that has actually done the work and flow tested them.

Edit………

I just remembered something from the past. In the MP catolog, they offered a ported 302 head. It had 1.88-1.60 (360) valves and came fully ported. (And knowing MP, you could have taken further)

FWIW, They tested the head against a 360 head and produced 55 more HP.

-
Back