318 LA rear main leak?

-
I checked the clearance with plastigauge today & it is .015 to .020 clearance so the cap is clearly sitting correctly.
I spoke to my machinist who tells me that indeed the do not sit flush or bottom on the block
I too did the paper trick like Bobzilla shows . I think I will just replace the rear main with a felpro bs 40245
It had a victor prinz vdc po5404 &8403 in it & thread tape on the rear plugs that were not leaking nor was the rocker covers or oil pressure switch as they were checked initially
Thanks for all your input that's why I love FABO

Mate that rear main doesn't look too good might be the pic but it does show you are getting good bearing contact my machinist normally turns that serration off the crank he said that was for the rope type seal how true it is ??
It appears to have polished quite a way either side of the bearing width have you checked to see how much end float you have do you have a picture of the bearing in the cap .
The cap does appear to be sitting correctly

Mate that rear main doesn't look too good might be the pic but it does show you are getting good bearing contact my machinist normally turns that serration off the crank he said that was for the rope type seal how true it is ??
It appears to have polished quite a way either side of the bearing width have you checked to see how much end float you have do you have a picture of the bearing in the cap .
The cap does appear to be sitting correctly

Hi
i did check enfloat on assembly and it was in specs.
i do believe the cap is sitting correctly and as per other posts and bearing clearence etc.
i have to try with another seal and go from there

Hi
i did check enfloat on assembly and it was in specs.
i do believe the cap is sitting correctly and as per other posts and bearing clearence etc.
i have to try with another seal and go from there
I’d be interested to know which way you had the seal facing just in case it was in backwards?

How bout the seal? Is it correct for the 318? I would advise that when you go back together with it, plastigage it to make sure the bearing clearance there is correct. AT LEAST you can eliminate THAT.

Ok so when it was torqued down you slid the paper under?
that's the same as mine then
Correct. No seal installed, cap was sitting correctly in its register, and cap was tightened down. I don't have feeler gauges there to see how much clearance, but that paper slid under the seal area loosely.

Hey Pete, I recently replaced the rear main seal in my 69 318 using the same new seal felpro bs 40245 torqued to 85 ft lbs. The radius part of the seal has a metal core, be sure not to bend it as that would warp the seal for sure. And yes the lower seal has wings that seat into the lower cap. The cap should set tight to the block or your oil pump passage will leak.

The Superformance Seal SPF9340 has a double lip for hard to seal cranks versus single lip on the BS40245

DSC00406.JPG

-
Back