318 LA to Poly 318

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
I have a complete rebuilt 318 Poly and wanted to put it in a 70 a-body.
Do I just need to replace motor mounts? It is stock 318 car.

I'd have to ask WHY?...I replaced an LA with a Poly once and it was a PIA..motor mounts, exhaust rework, just I few I recall...it was in 1973 that I did it and only because I was a Chevy guy and didn't know any better.

I'd have to ask WHY?...I replaced an LA with a Poly once and it was a PIA..motor mounts, exhaust rework, just I few I recall...it was in 1973 that I did it and only because I was a Chevy guy and didn't know any better.

Because I have a new rebuilt never run poly sitting in my shop and I will need to replace exhaust anyway. Just want to use what I have instead of spending another $1500 plus on another engine.

Sell the poly to somebody who is restoring an earlier car! This swap would be a lot of work for a step backwards.

Sell the poly to somebody who is restoring an earlier car!
+1 You'll need a trans and converter from a poly motor if auto or flywheel if stick, I think the crank flange sits further out on a poly compaired to an LA.

I might be interested in the poly if the price with shipping to maine isn't too much. Could use it in my 65 coronet.

+1 You'll need a trans and converter from a poly motor if auto or flywheel if stick, I think the crank flange sits further out on a poly compaired to an LA.

That would be true if the poly motor was a 62 or earlier. 63 and later polys bolt right up to a 727 (not sure about the 904). I had a 65 Coronet with a poly and used an early 70s 727 when the 65 transmission gave up the ghost. It would be a different swap for sure.

a poly does not fit in an A-body. Why do you think the design of the heads was changed? One reason was to fit it in the A-body in 1964. (273)
Poly is just too wide. correct, the back of the 63 and latr is exactly the same as any 318
A good place to find a 727 is behind 66 poly (65? maybe too). Motor mounts the same 63 up poly. (not sure about earlier ones)

polys do fit in A bodies. So long as you have the right crank, they do fit a 904 from an LA motor.
My father ran one in his Aussie assembled VF valint hardtop about 10 years ago. He fitted a weiand high rise 4BBl manifold, (Now nla I read somewhere) and it went pretty good. He wound it right out coming back from the west coast on a road trip. And I can still remember how good it sounded sitting at terminal velocity.

a poly does not fit in an A-body. Why do you think the design of the heads was changed? One reason was to fit it in the A-body in 1964. (273)
Poly is just too wide. correct, the back of the 63 and latr is exactly the same as any 318
A good place to find a 727 is behind 66 poly (65? maybe too). Motor mounts the same 63 up poly. (not sure about earlier ones)

He's wanting to put it in a 70 Dart...it will fit. They got wider after 66....

1965 727's were cable shift.

A poly does fit..I put one in a 65 Dart...took a while to find the right parts, mounts, manifolds and I don't remember what else, but it went in with no cutting.

hmmm I always thought the motor mounts were the same as an LA, in fact they are.
I know some off the cranks 'early yrs' have no center hub/register and or 8 bolt flanges.
something like that at least.

Thanks to those who answered my question. I appreciate all the comments. Good info here.

IIRC there was a small amoutn of packing required between one of the engine isolator mounts, and the X member. BUT, this was to gain clearance on the power steering box. (On a right hand drive car)

I would like to see a pic of a poly in a A-body (particularly if it has power steering)

Well that's a different kind of swap, not sure I'd tackle it though. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth. It would defenitely devalue the car though. Why not explore selling the poly before you dive it into it?

-
Back