318 LA-Valve Stem seals pict needed!!

-

LowDart

BR-Dodge
Reaction score
Hello all!!I've got 2 heads that a friend gave me,he says it's 318 heads but he smokes too much and i dont know if i can trust in hes memory.The thing is that the guy that is working on him(to bring him back to life after 7 years)said i'll have to buy a new kit of Valve Stem seals,so i did .But the seals that i bought for 318 heads were a lot smaler than the one that he took out from the heads(Higher).The guy that sold me sayd that this is the 318 seals!
So i want to have a look at some picture of the standard Valve seals.Something is wrong here and i got to discover what it is.
How do i identify if it's 318 heads or not?

You will find the long rubber umbrella seal, a short rubber umbrella seal (long is intake, short is exhaust), and a positive type rubber seal that presses over the guides (Intake in later models) in various factory heads. Then there's teflon and viton, both of which require the guide boss to be milled slightly so the seals fit without splitting, and get used on intake and exhaust sides. I've used the positive type rubber ones as upgrades on the intakes of many earlier engines with no troubles.

The Problem is that All(Seals) of them are shorter than the seals he took from the heads.And he said they probably wouldn't work(Hold the Oil).

Any Pictures?Just want to have a look on a few 318 Valve seals.
Chrysler-Dodge
318 LA-Small Block
1973-2bbl carb.

I'll grab one tonight of all of the rubber ones.

Well, in order togte the pic up <i have to shrink it even further. So I have to do it from work...C ya tomorrow.

moper said:
I'll grab one tonight of all of the rubber ones.

Well, in order togte the pic up <i have to shrink it even further. So I have to do it from work...C ya tomorrow.

Thank's Moper.

Here you go...The 3 "rubber" ones available.

100_0375.jpg

(from the left)The First look's like the one that the guy pull out from the heads ,and the second is the one i bought! What are the diferences ?

The left is an intake valve seal from the 60s, 70s. The center is an exh seal from that same period. The intake sheds oil away from the guide. There is negative pressure in the guides on the intake valves. The exh side has positive pressure, so the seal doesnt have to be the sheading type. You find the long style was used on both too. Remember most of these engines have had seals done in them once by the time you see them now. In the 80s when I wortked parts, we would send 16 of those if we didnt have enough exh seals... The last is a positive type intake seal from an 80s vintage IIRC. Totally interchangable with earlier stuff.

Correct. But intakes can be used on exhuast. The exh just doesnt need the extra sealing capacity, and the materials are a little different because of the exh heat.

So the guy sold me them like if it would fit!!!And the son of a B#*! said this is the one!!(He probably think that the exh work's like the intake ones)!!Thank's a lot for the info,Moper!!!Now i've got to give a call on this asshole!Thank you.

he insisted that these are the right Seals !!He said that he uses this on his cars !!!So,im going to change my order,to something else i need like Dist. cap.!!!But now i need the right seals,Do you now where i can buy a kit of this Valve stem Seals(Int/Exh)?

LowDart I have a new set of the stock type made by Fel-Pro (8 of the type on left and 8 of the type on the right shown in Mopers pix) left over from an engine build that I switched to pc type seals. I'd be glad to give them to you if you pay the shipping cause I'll never use them. If your interested just PM me your name and address and I'll find out what the shipping costs.

Thanks fishy!!!!I already got them!!(found a set of this seals in a friend's garage)!Thanks a lot guys!!

-
Back