318 - Lifter Removal & Anti Pump-Up Lifters

-
Sorry to be the guy to say it,but that much material in the engine will DESTROY it. Pull it apart and clean/rebuild it.Gaskets dont cost that much,and neither do bearings,but a catastrophic failure is likely in the books if you ignore what that lifter means. Of course you may get lucky and everythiong will be just fine. But if you have my luck a rod will go through the block at 5000 rpm.

The cause? Between the timing being off, not having fuel up to the carb, and a leak or two the engine didn't start quick enough and all of the assembly lube was wiped off this lobe of the camshaft. When it finally did start and we ran it I guess the damage had already been done. Of course, this is just a guess. Because it is curious that it only happened on one lobe and all the others were perfectly fine. Could have been a bad lifter or material defect somewhere.

Also, as far as tearing it down and rebuilding goes...I've already spent more time and money on this 318 than I had ever planned to. I'm going to try and baby it and keep the oil as clean as possible, but if I lose it, I lose it. At that point I'll either start saving for a 340/360 or get rid of her.

Man, sorry to hear/see that. Of course, now I am more paranoid than ever to rebuild my motor! LOL! Good Luck, I hope things work out for you with the motor.

Pat

-
Back