318 Magnum Dropped Valve

-
So very disappointed! Just about to finish my build on my 1965 Dart GT while fine tuning the engine #8 dropped a valve. The 302 heads have been completely rebuilt and I have maybe 15 minutes on the engine. What is the possibility that I also bent #8 rod, damaged the wrist pin or anything else? The valve broke right at the bottom of the keeper. I am thinking that the valve was week at that point and hopefully no other valves are the same. I am posting pics of the top of #8 cylinder and the bent valve. I am hoping to have the valve and valve keeper replaced, put it all back together and be good. What are your suggestions.

View attachment 1716186449

View attachment 1716186450
id tear it apart, thats enuff of a hammer to damage the rod bearing

You are correct my bad it is a 1989 318 roller. Went to the machine shop that did the work and they are shut down. Dropped the head off to another machine shop. Waiting to hear their assessment.

I would replace every valve/retainer/keeper. I know it doesn’t feel like it, but you got lucky it came apart at idle and not 5000 rpm. I have a better valve than I probably need for what I’m doing (Ferrea), but it has been my limited experience they tend to stay in one piece and bend rather than break. Something that came true after using them.

9E7BA7A0-AD79-4515-8E8B-A1DF02BE36A6.jpeg

E4BA70FB-6100-4B40-9049-6C54EF2DC933.jpeg

I would replace every valve/retainer/keeper. I know it doesn’t feel like it, but you got lucky it came apart at idle and not 5000 rpm. I have a better valve than I probably need for what I’m doing (Ferrea), but it has been my limited experience they tend to stay in one piece and bend rather than break. Something that came true after using them.

View attachment 1716187719

View attachment 1716187720
Interesting. I will look into them. Thank you!

-
Back