318 magnum HELP!!!

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
I bought a 318 magnum with about 100,000 km or 60,000 miles, it was in a dodge ram and I'm putting it in a dakota so it required changing the oil pan. the engine ran well with good compression and fair oil pressure (about 12psi warm) didn't smoke or knock. pulled the oil pan and found about a 1/4" of metal filings in the bottom of the pan as well as long narrow pieces of metal (reminds me of steel wool) I think I got ripped off even though it sounded good and tested alright, don't have the money to rebuild it so I guess I'm going to have to run it for now carefully I paid $200 and had to remove it myself

What suggestions are you looking for. The story is in the pan. Its coming apart, no question. 12psi warm, Not Good at all. it should be 30psi or more!

What suggestions are you looking for. The story is in the pan. Its coming apart, no question. 12psi warm, Not Good at all. it should be 30psi or more!

I thought warm there should be 10 psi for every 1000 rpm? should I do a quick bearing check and see if the crank will handle new stock bearings without machine work?

Anytime there's junk in the pan, it's time to tear it down and find out WHY. Could be a number of thinks CAUSED the trouble, but worse yet, if they've been circulating in the oil system, you can have more damage yet, bearings, oil pump, cam, etc.

At least open up the bottom end main caps and rods. Have a look at the bearings.

I'd guess at least a crank kit, oil pump, possibly lifters and a good douching. Mags oil thru pushrods too so...
Or, on the extra cheap, new king main & rod brngs can be had for as little as $40 for both sets, new. Clean out the pump and pickup, cross fingers.

I'd guess at least a crank kit, oil pump, possibly lifters and a good douching. Mags oil thru pushrods too so...
Or, on the extra cheap, new king main & rod brngs can be had for as little as $40 for both sets, new. Clean out the pump and pickup, cross fingers.

would you happen to have a link to the king main&rod bearings or part numbers? mine would be standard size bearings. everything is nearly triple price here then what I can buy it on the internet for, would really like to get it running and driving this year without chucking a rod, and since I can't afford a full rebuild I could put a set of bearings in and check a few other things

-
Back