318 Main Seal Leak Question

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 74 Duster with a 318. The main seal is leaking and I am wondering if it is possible to drop the pan with the engine in the car?

And if it is possible, is it one of those deals where it would have been easier in the long run to pull the engine to get to it.

Thanks!

if you drop the pan all you will be able to change is the pan gaskets the rear main seal is still in there the rear main is what holds it i would just drop the tranny and replace the seal correctly

I've done this many times to change a rear main seal. The center link has to be moved away from the pan. Then the pan can be dropped. The oil pick up tube hangs down, so you have to navigate the pan around the tube. The transmission does not have to be moved back

I just did this as well. All I did was to drop the center link and the stock exhaust to get clear access to the pan.

I use a carefully modified old dipstick to push the old seal out of the block half of the seal land. whatever method you use, be careful not to scratch the crank surface, or it will chew on the new seal.

-
Back