318 Metal in Oil. Likely Source?

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Hello,
So I purchased a '73 Dart with a 318. I was unable to hear the engine run, but checked the oil and turned it over by hand. Oil was new and clean, engine turned over. Engine just had a new intake and 4 barell installed.

Got it home fixed the timing, it was 3 plugs out. Built an EGR plate and installed it. Installed a new starter.

Fired up the engine and it sounds great! It is smooth and quiet, revs up very nicely. No bearing noise.
Checked the oil after about a 5 minute run and found lots of metal in the oil.
Question 1. What is the likely source of metal contamination?
Cam lobes? Bearings? Some where else?

Because of the new intake, I would assume, if it were the cam, this would have been noticed when the intake was installed.

Part of me wants to drive it this way; until it pukes. The responsible side wants to fix it now.

I will pull the intake and inspect the cam.

Any ideas on where the metal is coming from is appreciated. Thanks

I beleive he installed the intake in June of '09 and was never able to get it running after that.
I didn't check it with a magnet but will go out and check it now. It appears to be aluminium. Shiney silver, turned the oil grey.

I would look at the cam first. I traded my '73 Dodge van in on a new Charger in '74 because the cam was wiping 3 lobes. Found out about it when I decided to put the stock 2 barrel back on it when gas hit 45 cents a gallon. MaMopar made a lot of changes in '73, not all of which were for the better.

Yep, cam. Stick a magnet in the oil. Don't drive it either, it'll just continue to eat the bearings. You might be able to get away with just dropping the pan and cleaning the pan out and replacing the oil pump but metal generally means pulling the engine and cleaning/checking everything.

Non-ferrous (not iron or steel, and therefore not metallic) typically comes from one of two places; bearings or pistons. Pistons are aluminum, and in a engine which has been sitting it is possible that a bore rusted and scuffed the piston skirt when you started the engine. The rings will have worn any roughness smooth in a short time, but this is a classic way to break a ring.

Bearing faces are a lead alloy and metal from those would indicate trash in the oil.

Did you open up your oil filter? You can buy oil filter cutters from Summit or other speed shops, but they are spendy. Or take the filter to the airport and have a mechanic open it for you for a couple bucks.

The only sure fire way to tell exactly what metal is in your oil would be to send a sample for analysis. Call your local Caterpillar engine shop or www.blackstone-labs.com for oil analysis.

I would change it and keep an eye on things. If the engine continues to make metal in the oil, the problem will become apparent sooner than later. If it clears up, whatever was wearing has stabilized and may be OK for quite some time. Any damage has been done now, so if it still runs quietly and smoothly, drive it.

Thanks for all the replies.
I will be doing an internship at a local garage next week, I will take the filter in and cut it open.
I will also change the oil and make a couple trips with the car to verify that the trans is good and to see if I get any more metal in the oil.
Then I will make time to tear it apart and rebuild.

-
Back