318 misfire!

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
so took my car out to the grocery store today and it started to back fire like crazy. upon sitting at home I found out one of the spark plug wire fell on the exaust maniforld, so I moved it up off there and ordered a new set. the engine's stil misfireing. I checked my timing it's stil 10 degrees off center which is where I set it last month and it was ok. I have a 318 with a 4 barrel Holly 4160 on it, rebuild in nov. I havn't pulled the plugs yet since it's supposed to snow any min. any other ideas?

No, I'd look at the plugs or just that one for sure.

If you are waiting until morning to do this fire it up now that it is dark out and see if anything is arcing under the hood while it is running. Can't hurt.

Agreed. Dark is best time to find if something isnt quite right.

Hopefully you replaced cap/rotor with the wires.

Another thing, make sure ALL of the wires are seated firmly in the cap. The last set I put on my dart were extremely snug. A couple gave me difficult in getting that 'snap'.

Double-check that the right wire is in the right spot on the cap.

If no arcing, One thing I do is to put my timing light from plugwire to plugwire and make sure each cylindar is getting spark.

If getting spark to every cylindar, replace the plugs. At that point, you've ruled out the miss/backfire coming from ignition, time to start looking elsewhere.

well I have an electric ignition so there's no points so that's a ok, ordered a new cap today also. didn't take out the plug yet but I pulled each wire and the one that's burnt was the only one that didn't make a change in the noise of the engine idling. gonna get all my parts monday and play with it. spent the last 12 hrs shovling so I'm beat. thanks for the ideas

-
Back