318 Motor

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
I have a 318 motor in my 1974 Plymouth Duster. It has been rebuilt when we did a restoration on it. I am thinking about switching it out to a 392. Anyone have any idea what a used 318 motor goes for in socal? It has about 100k total miles on it.

I have a 318 motor in my 1974 Plymouth Duster. It has been rebuilt when we did a restoration on it. I am thinking about switching it out to a 392. Anyone have any idea what a used 318 motor goes for in socal? It has about 100k total miles on it.
$500 would be a fair price. Your definition of "rebuilt" and mine may be different. A 392 would be cool but good luck making it fit and work

Last edited:
Gen1 392 or Gen 3 6.4 aka 392?

I wouldn't screw with a Gen 1 392 at all, seen a guy go down that path....yeah they look cool, but weight a billion pounds and cost a small fortune to do anything too. Gen 3 has larger aftermarket support, cookie cutter install parts, and would probably cost the same, unless you have the Gen 1 sitting on a stand ready to go.

With 100k on the clock, any potential buyer is likely going to consider it a core. The reality is anyone looking for a 318 is probably not going to be willing to spend much more than scrap prices for it.

I have 3 Gen 1 392 HEMIs, I wish I could afford to make one good one out of them all! However, I’d never put it in a performance minded vehicle... and certainly not in the cramped space of an A-body. Some one had one in a yellow Demon many moons ago in the Readers Rides section of a Mopar magazine damn cool but probably not as strong as we would all wish it to be.

The early Chrysler Hemis aren't any heavier than a big block.

100k miles....
I live in Southern California and know for a fact it's about $100.
Bought one 2 years ago - it's at IMM Engines right now being stroked to a 392.

Jeff

-
Back