318 or 360

-

RDupont01

Reaction score
I have a 73 Swinger that has a fairly stock 318 in it with a 4bbl Edelbrock 600cfm. I am thinking about going to a 360 that will eventually be stroked and bored. Should I put that money into the 318 or build the 360? Opinions? Advice? Warnings? Thanks for the help...

Robert

Really depends on your plans for the car, i.e. strip, daily driver, etc...I would put the $ it into the 360. More bang for the buck. But that's just me...

Performance build? Build the 360 into a stroker on the side and live with the 318 for now.

Its definitely not my daily driver, would like to have a street fun car that will put you back in the seat, but not over the top strip type motor.

A pump gas friendly 360 with a moderate cam, high stall, tall gears will do that.

Thanks for the info. What 360 (year, make) should I look for that will have the minimal amount of extra parts for the conversion? I'm running the 904 right now but could have a 727, suggestions on that also?

Any year 360 is as good as another. Though some years have a higher comp. ratio to start with, which helps a good bit with a larger cam and power output. With that said, IMO, a Magnum engine is what I would be looking for. Ditch the F.I. if you can not hook it up for a carb intake and a 650 cfm carb, use headers and swap in a roller cam of choice.

The Magnum engine has a different balance than a regular 360. In any case, Magnum engine or not, it will require a B&M flex plate to use with a neutral balance converter or simply (Though more expensively) purchase a new converter for it. Or the new cam size if it is of sizable duration.

IF you get a truck 360, you'll need to find a car oil pan.
In this case, newer the better, lower miles the better.

rumblefish nailed it the first time. If you're plannin on a stroker to begin with, stick with the little teen for now. First off, the teen will help you SAVE money in gas as prices are fixin to go UP. That way you can get your stroker ready at your own pace.

-
Back