318 Piston to Valve Clearance

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Would a Comp XE262 cam safely work in a stock 318 with 8:5:1 or lower compression pistons without knicking the valves? Also, would it work well with a 2.76 to 2.94 gear for cruising?

Also, does it have more lope to it than my Comp 260H cam with .440/.440 lift and slightly better torque and power?

Thanks.

It should work just fine in that engine. As for the sound that it will make, it should be similar and create more torque and low end power.

if your heads and block are stock not milled you'll be fine my 318 was zerodecked and heads milled 20 thous.and it all still worked with factory headgaskets yea a 262 cam will work even in a stock 318 your best bang for the buck would be some 323 or 355 gears

Check out the pistons where the exhaust hit the piston...More cam?? This is a block I bought to rebuild, got it dirt cheap..it's really tired! I run the he260 with no problem on a setup similar to yours. You should be good with any of the recommended cams..I called Comp cams and this is the one they thought would work best. I've often wondered what was in this block to do that to the pistons.

100_1629 (Small).jpg

100_1625 (Small).jpg

100_1624 (Small).jpg

I have seen those exhaust valve dings before and it happens with an old stretched timing chain with the nylon missing on the cam gear. I took apart a 318 that had these same marks on the pistons and the chain was only riding on the aluminum part of the gear, it is amazing as loose as it was it didn't jump time.

Chuck

-
Back