318 police engine?

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Hello everyone,new to the site.

Anyways I just picked up a 70 Dart Swinger.Upon the initial clean-up(taking out seats,removing crappy carpeting etc...)I discovered 4 build sheets.There is a section in one of the build sheet's that says heavy duty fleet.There is a box that says police engine.it is marked with a 1.So the code is F-01.So can anybody tell me what I have here?Does this motor have a trick cam or heads etc....

The car also has disc brakes with a 8 3/4 rear.

Thanks John

Johnny Dart said:
Hello everyone,new to the site.

Anyways I just picked up a 70 Dart Swinger.Upon the initial clean-up(taking out seats,removing crappy carpeting etc...)I discovered 4 build sheets.There is a section in one of the build sheet's that says heavy duty fleet.There is a box that says police engine.it is marked with a 1.So the code is F-01.So can anybody tell me what I have here?Does this motor have a trick cam or heads etc....

The car also has disc brakes with a 8 3/4 rear.

Thanks John

Far out.

Well I live in Southern California.
I have a 65 Dart Conv,Slant six,Factory Hurst 4spd w/pistol grip car that I have owned for over 10yrs.The motor has a Clifford 4bbl intake,Clifford headers,Edel 500,Electronic ign,Mopar purple shaft cam,Shaved head,Big valves etc.....

I have added front disc brakes with 3.55's in the rear.The car is turn key,and is a Spring Fling show winner in Cal.

but I have been itching to build a V8 car for a while.I have taken a liking to the Swinger over the last few years and finally had a oppurtunity at one,so I bought it.1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 318,disc brakes,power steering,8 3/4 car.My plan with it right now is to paint it,put some rims and tires on it and drive it untill I get a bigger garage where I can do a ground up 340/360 resto...

Thanks for the welcome.......
Anybody on the police engine question?

Heavy duty fleet doesn't always mean police. My brother ordered a 76 Volare with that package and a /6 with OD 4 speed. He ordered it that way to get the heavy duty suspension, cooling, brakes, and the extra body bracing. All the cop cars I sat in front of during that period (69-70) were either Polaras or stripper Furys and they were definately big blocks. The only real giveaway for an ex-cop car that is reasonably reliable is the word Certified in the middle of the speedometer. The usual engine upgrades were shot peened and nitrided forged cranks, beefier rods, select blocks with little or no core shift, and slightly lumpier cams. FWIW the state police here were running 440's that the maintenance garage punched out to 505 inches before they ever went into service. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply,

However the police engine box is checked on the build sheet.
F-01 is the code.
I have looked the code up and it says Police engine.
Anybody else?

Thanks

Police package motor probably had chrome plated valve stems and different springs for durability and a larger radiator with maybe a trans cooler. Not a performance option but I cant find a police small block that early, all big blocks.

Thanks Pishta,
No on the larger rad has a 19"
Ditto on the tranny cooler,nothing extra.

Ow well,have been doing a little research on adding pics.Here is a pic of my 65 Dart.
I will have to get some pics of the new swinger 318.

Thanks,John

081_81.JPG

075_75.JPG

I have a 65 dart as well...its not a hardtop....but I've had it since I was 16.
Your Dart is absolutely sweet man....Good job! I love that you went with the leaning tower of power...very nicely detailed!
Pat Adams :wav:

Another "Cop Car" give away is the metal 'data tag.' Police cars of that era had a code stamped into that tag...look for A38. Many also had a second tag that simply said "Special Handling." Later cop-mobiles are AHB-coded, but that wasn't until '82 or '84 :thumbup:

-
Back