318 problems help!!!

-

74valiant

Reaction score
i have a 74 valiant w a 318. first off, the plugs wires cap rotor fuel pump and filter are new and the engine is getting gas. the engine was put in by me about a month ago and it has ran pretty good for me so far. it would start fine as long as i didnt touch the gas, and it idled decent also. about a week ago, i was driving after letting it warm up for a few when the engine just died. it was like a switch was hit and it just shut off. i popped the hood to see if i could find anything wrong, but everything looked fine. i tried to start it a few times but it didnt even attempt to start. i let it sit for about 10 or 15 and tried again, and it started. i drove it the rest of the day without a problem. today the same thing happened except this time it doesnt want to start after the initial stall. i came out this morning, started it up and let it idle for a few. i backed outa my space and while im driving away from my house, the car died, and wouldnt restart. any ideas guys?? im driving this car from san diego to michigan in a week and a half and need this problem solved!! any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

When it dies does it have any fuel in the carb ? Could be a plugged sock filter in the tank.

1st Check Ignition box.
2nd Does the distributor spin when you turn over the motor[cap off]?
3rd is the ballast hot when key is on and is there power to the coil?
If not you can connect a +jumper from +coil to batt will it stay running?
Did the fusable link burn?
This will be a teating of wires and trial and error.
Just a start.

When it dies does it have any fuel in the carb ? Could be a plugged sock filter in the tank.

i havent noticed specifically, but it always smells like its getting gas. the first time i thought it was flooded and thats why it died. but now that it wont start for the second time, im doubting that.

i havent noticed specifically, but it always smells like its getting gas. the first time i thought it was flooded and thats why it died. but now that it wont start for the second time, im doubting that.

I'd check for power throughout the ignition system (i.e power to coil, spark coming from coil) first to rule that out. Then I'd take the fuel line to the carb loose to verify that you're getting fuel there. If you're getting fuel and spark and it's still not starting I'd check the carb. Is this a factory 2-barrel by chance?

Check the air gap in the distributor, as this can cause this intermittent problem. Generally the gap is closed up at the P/U coil.

I had that happen to me one time and it was a worn pickup plate in the distributor. Also could be a loose connection in the plug in the fire wall.

Seat belt interlock??? 1974 only headache.
Push the button on the switch, mine was on the firewall if I recall correctly.

I forget how to bypass the darn thing.

Speaking of which, Jay, “68CudaPyro” from the forums, pointed out an easy way to get rid of the annoying seat belt safety interlock, which prevents starting the engine unless seat belts are fastened (in 1974 and some 1975 cars): “Look under the seats and locate the pressure switch. Unplug the connector. There you go.” That's a good tip. I always drive with the safety belt on, but I don't always want to fasten it just to pull the car out of the garage, and I also don't always want to fasten it before starting up. Sure enough, this worked instantly and relieved me of a lot of nuisance.

http://www.valiant.org/valiant/project.html

i had this issue on an 86 R/C that I had a few years ago. I t would run fine...then for no reason die. I would have to sit for about 15-20 min,then she would fire up and no probs for a day / week / sometimes. But then do it again. I talked to some people and they said it was my coil, so I replaced it and had no probs for the next year that i had it...

I'd check for power throughout the ignition system (i.e power to coil, spark coming from coil) first to rule that out. Then I'd take the fuel line to the carb loose to verify that you're getting fuel there. If you're getting fuel and spark and it's still not starting I'd check the carb. Is this a factory 2-barrel by chance?

i know when i press the gas down it injects fuel into the carb for startup, so i think the gas is ok. coil is getting power, but havent been able to check for spark yet. dont have any help to look for me. the carb is the factory 2 barrel, and i had to replace the one that came on the motor with my original because the "new" one was shot. by the way, the motor was used with 55k

thanksfor all the replies guys!! i really appreciate all the help!!!! going to check that switch and a few connectors as we speak!!!!

problem solved!!! it ended up being the ignition control unit. put a new one in and it started right up!!

thanks for the help again!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason

1st Check Ignition box.
2nd Does the distributor spin when you turn over the motor[cap off]?
3rd is the ballast hot when key is on and is there power to the coil?
If not you can connect a +jumper from +coil to batt will it stay running?
Did the fusable link burn?
This will be a teating of wires and trial and error.
Just a start.

Good guess.

-
Back