318 problems

-

hidden_threat

Reaction score
I have a 318 LA in my 65 Coronet. Back in June we got a ton of rain and I was driving the car. I made it home but water got in the distributor and since then I've been fighting problems with that distrutor and recently replaced it. So I installed the new distributor, had to pull it back out and the shaft was very thick and stuck in the oil pump/ Cam gear. The gear dropped back down and I've lined it up parallel to the cam but it won't start. I have spark at the #1 plug wire but it still won't start.
Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance.
Thank you.

There are several ways to fix this or at least get you close. I'm sure some of the other guys on this forum would have a better suggestion, but here's how I'd do it.

Pull all the plug wires and take the distributor cap off. Put your distributor down in the engine (without the cap on) and get it "seated" into the slot on the top of the drive gear.

Take a narrow piece of tape and "mark" the distributor case where the rotor is pointing. Put the cap back on and start putting your plug wires back on starting with the number one plug wire lined up with your piece of tape.

Follow the firing order around clockwise, putting the plug wires back on one at a time. This will get you close, you may need to rotate the distributor a little counterclockwise to increase timing or clockwise to retard it.

These old engines are pretty forgiving and if you can get close enough then you can set the timing with a light after you get it running.

The slot in the distributor drive gear doesn't go parallel to the cam. Bring #1 up on TDC/compression and the drive gear slot should point towards the front most intake bolt on the left side of the motor.

Bring the #1 piston to TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke, and look at the rotor in the distributor.

Is it pointing the the front left (driver side) intake bolt?

The concern being that you can be 180 degrees out.

You said you are definitely getting spark, so if it doesn't hit even on ether then you almost certainly are either 180 out or perhaps your order of rotation is reversed.

If you did not pull the oil pump/distributor drive gear or change it's relationship to the cam the distributor should go in only two ways, one of which is correct. The rotor will either be pointing at #1 OR #6. So if your drive gear moved you can re-orient it with a screwdriver until your rotor points to #1 or #6 with your timing marks at TDC. This will save you from rewiring the cap.

But he did... "The gear dropped back down and I've lined it up parallel to the cam" So he says.

He needs to get #1 up on compression/TDC and then line it up and go from there.

The fact is you can close your eyes and throw the drive gear in there "any old way" and then toss the distributor in after it

What IS important is that the rotor is approaching whatever tower the no1 plug wire is connected to, at the time no1 is ready to fire.

There are TWO WAYS to set timing, that is, to find the no1 compression stroke

1......Pull no 1 plug, stick your finger in and bump the engine until compression pushes out your finger. You may have to "go round" a couple of times to feel this. When you START to feel compression, watch the marks, and bring the marks up to wherever you want initial timing, 10, 15 BTC.

2......Second way is if you have the valve covers off. Bring the timing mark to where you want timing, 10 BTC, etc, and look at the no1 and no6 valves. One cylinder will be "both valves closed" the opposite will be "both partially open."

If no1 is open, rotate the crank 1 full turn.

As in no1 above, you are now on compression. Again, set the timing marks to where you want timing, 10-15BTC

NOW look where the rotor is. Regardless of where the cam gear or distributor is plugged, WHEREVER the rotor is is the tower you want no1 wire to be.

If this does not suit you, you can rotate the cam gear with a screwdriver, "walk" it up out of the cam and move it. NOT ALL DISTRIBUTORS have the drive tang oriented the same regards to the rotor

Follow Del's advice and find TDC and re-set the firing order around the distributor to that...

-
Back