318 Pulley help

-

70DUSTER/74SCAMP

Sold the scamp ....still got the duster tho
Reaction score
So i have a 74 scamp with a 318 . my issue is this was a factory AC car ( i removed) and my water pump pully (fan) and my crank pulley are so close together i cant slip a belt between them to change my alternator belt without taking fan off . whats the pain in the rear is i have a flex fan with spacer so i have to pull the radiator then fan just to slip a belt on the middle groove of the crank pully. do they make a smaller crank pully that still has the 6 holes in it? or a smaller water pump pully? something to give me at least half an inch or so to get a belt on . ALSO last nite installed a new pretty beefy alternator bracket on the motor. it came from summit, was billit with turn buckle adjustment. works good but now my problem is my Double groove alternator pully grooves seem to be more narrow then my crank pully i have a normal size belt from napa it sits and is flush in the groove for the crank but like i said the alternator groove is narrow the belt rides in it but keeps tossing the damn belt so idk if i need a new wider alternator pully or what to do its frustrating as heck any help is greatly appreciated thanks
and yes the pullys are strait in line together not off at all . lol

Hard to say without photos, but, basically you need to have a matched set of crank and water pump pulleys off a non-A/C engine, along with the non-A/C brackets for everything to play nice together. I'd 86 that flex fan too. Seen too many of them take out a radiator and/or hood when they come apart.....and it will come apart sooner or later!

So I take it u never changed the pulleys to non a/c pulleys. What pulleys do u have now? The a/c ones? Like said earlier, pics help. Kim

-
Back