318 rebuild - a few q's

-

Patrick

Reaction score
Tried searching for my answer here but i couldn't find it... Installing my cam and I'm scratching my head about 2 parts that i took off the motor months ago:
1) An eccentric washer looking thing (~2in in diameter, 1in tall) that i believe was used to bolt the cam gear down - is it needed and how do i reinstall it? I have the small washer and the cam bolt but when i try to use the larger washer the bolt is too short....

2) A large thin washer - i believe it may be the oil slinger? I'm not sure how it installs either...

I have a 65 shop manual but this motor is a later year so i'm assuming that they changed things a bit.

Thanks!
Patrick

If you talking about the fuel pump eccentric that bolts to the front of th cam and is keyed. The arm on the fuel pump rides along that to pump fuel to the motor.

I thought that was keyed to? I can't remember right now it to early in the morning.

Patrick

The ecentric washer thinking is correct. It is keyed to sit a certain way and has a cupped washer that sits in it and then is bolted down. The fuel pump arm rides ontop of it.

The oil slinger is installed cup side inward.

The shop manual doesn't change much year to year in engine internals.

Rumble-
thanks - i think you answered all of my questions
Appreciate it!

You are correct, ecentric first, washer second.

-
Back