318 refresh

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
I have some time to kill while waiting for the car to come home on the train so I figured why not do a ring and bearing refresh on the numbers 318 , this way I'll have a motor to drop in while I refresh the stroker . Step 1 cleaning and pulling the pistons , the motor is sitting in short block already , I pulled the Willie Wanker power pack off a couple of months ago . The motor had a blow by issue when it came out , kind of an understatement really , it didn't seem bad but 4 & 6 are pitted under the carbon and when I pulled those 2 out the rings on them fell on the floor in pieces , explains the blow by eh ! lol . The rest of the slugs came out with rings intact , crank looks fine , bearings are labled 500-c-68 so I'm guessing they might be the original bearings from 68 ?

step 2: honing I bought a cheap cylinder hone and wore 1 of the stones out doing the first 3 cylinders . how does 1 stone wear out while the other 2 look identical with hardly any wear ? any old school tricks for dealing with the ridge ? it's not much of a ridge but if theres a way to smooth it without machining the block then I'm all ears otherwise I'll just have to wear out some more stones LOL !

step 3 : cam selection , I have the xe268 in it right now but this is more than I want for the 318 heads I am putting back on so anybody use the 252h or xe260 in their builds , thoughts ? I want to maintain velocity and low end torque more than top end power , this is just a temp econo motor that can go in and out of the car as the need arises .

These are very reasonably priced refresh kits from Mancini Racing. See what they have and what you need.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/enrebkit.html

Thanks , I have pretty much everything on hand the rod bearings and rings are coming from my local parts guy , I just discovered the cam that was in it originally has developed some rust on the journals while in storage so I am looking to pick up a cam that will still work with the factory springs .

step 2: honing I bought a cheap cylinder hone and wore 1 of the stones out doing the first 3 cylinders . how does 1 stone wear out while the other 2 look identical with hardly any wear ? any old school tricks for dealing with the ridge ? it's not much of a ridge but if theres a way to smooth it without machining the block then I'm all ears otherwise I'll just have to wear out some more stones LOL !

I use a ball hone. It takes the ridge off also.

I ran a stock 340 cam with Rhoades lifters in an old 318 that I threw together back in the day. Nice cam for the street, especially with the Rhoades lifters.

With stock 318 heads and 2 bbl intake, I would idle at 24" hg, however it would overheat when the outside temp got above 80° F. I put 360 heads, Holleyt 600 vac sec, and a stock 69 340 intake on it, and it only dropped down to 22.5" Hg at idle.

With a 2.76 gear in a 68 Barracuda, I got 17.75 true MPG highway.

I think that the 268 comp cam with rhoades lifters will work fine.

I also tried the other two cams from MP the .430/.450 lift and the one step above that, but wanted more. I liked the stock 340 cam the best between the three.

Not sure in Canada but here in the U. S. you can rent a ridge reamer at Autozone or similar parts store. Honing it without removing it is probably going to screw up the taper in the bore. Anything you can feel with a fingernail needs to go. I think I would have used a ball hone instead of stones. you just want to break the glaze not bore it. Those broken rings probably played hell with the ring lands so borrow a piston groove cleaner to clean them up. Should do that anyway. Have a machinist look at that cam before ditching it. On a superlow buck build like this, you can probably polish the rust spots out good enough to reuse and save some dollars.

Thanks guys I'll try to get my hands on a ball hone and ridge reamer before I go any farther , I was thinking I would try polishing the cam with some 0000 steel wool before buying a new one , I don't want to use the 360 heads or the springs and lifters from the 268 setup that was in the motor before ,in fact that whole setup is up for sale including the heads with the springs installed , the lifters , cam ,push rods , stealth intake and the eddy 600 , I really never liked the way it drove with the higher stall converter needed for that cam and it was a lot of money to make very little extra power over the way the 2bbl setup pulled the car before the changes, the car always chirped between gears if you stomped it and it was way more street friendly . I will be getting a lot of hands on pro help with the refresh of my stroker and just want to have this motor in the car in case I need to drive it while the big motor is being redone .

Be very careful with the ridge reamer, it can cut metal fast without precision. You can clean any journal or lobe with WD-40 and 400 wet or dry sandpaper.

Be very careful with the ridge reamer, it can cut metal fast without precision. You can clean any journal or lobe with WD-40 and 400 wet or dry sandpaper.

I found that the ball hone will take care of the ridge. No need for the ridge reamer...

I found that the ball hone will take care of the ridge. No need for the ridge reamer...

We don't have Autozone here so I am looking for a ball hone to start with anyway , I ran the stones through the even # bank but they were fine stones and didn't real do anything to the ridge so they probably didn't do much to the cylinder walls either other than cleaning them .

...............So u did the train and plane thing again this year....I hope u have air miles lol...........good luck with ur refresh.............kim.........

We don't have Autozone here so I am looking for a ball hone to start with anyway , I ran the stones through the even # bank but they were fine stones and didn't real do anything to the ridge so they probably didn't do much to the cylinder walls either other than cleaning them .

Do you have a NAPA?

Try this one 3 1/2" - 4" Part # 2492:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...ylinder-Flexible-Hones/_/R-SER2492_0293957303

Look at the top left of page 148 for a selection, this one lists the range for the hones:

http://tools-equipment.napaecatalog.com/app.php?RelId=6.2.3.1

Here's another index. that doesn't give size:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=flex+hone&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

Here's a shorter one with nominal diameter of 3 3/4":

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...ylinder-Flexible-Hones/_/R-SER2487_0293957298

I use an OLD ridge reamer. Made much better than the newer type. If you are slow and take your time it does a good job. Honestly, it's really not necessary if you use the same pistons, as the rings will have the same travel. It's only when you replace the pistons and there's a possibility that the ring pack may ride higher in the bore that you really need to remove the ridge. Otherwise, the rings ride in the same place.

...............So u did u did the train and plane thing again this year....I hope u have air miles lol...........good luck with ur refresh.............kim.........

Yes she is taking her annual train ride , shitty prairie gas caused her to start blowing black real bad and a quick clean didn't fix it , it got to the point where it was washing the cylinders so I figured why make it worse , but i suspect you already knew that , they made me tell the story of last year on stage because Steve made me a Moparfest2013 TShirt with a pic of the car on the wrecker and the words "Did I Miss Anything" on it , needless to say they feel the same about you folk in Saskatchewan as you do about the folks in Ontarible , No I didn't give names LOL , say high to Patty , I sure missed going to the rodeo this year !

Our Local NAPA is useless but thankfully I know an old Mopar guy who has a ridge reamer and a ball hone both , he`s scheduled to make a house call this morning .

darn disappearing posts , Here goes again , after a short visit from my favorite Mopar guy { he makes house calls } , the block is now reamed and honed but the darn ring pack had a broken ring in it and a new pack won't be in town until thursday soooo into the holding pattern we go

Our Local NAPA is useless but thankfully I know an old Mopar guy who has a ridge reamer and a ball hone both , he`s scheduled to make a house call this morning .

I see that you have already taken care of it, but why can't you order it online from NAPA if your local store is useless?

I could order one online for sure but that would take 2 weeks to get here , I'm doing this more as busy work while I wait for the car to get home plus it's a learning experience . I have never built a motor before so I am using this to learn so I can refresh my stroker when it gets home , I will have my Favorite Mopar Mechanic standing close by when I do that refresh as well eh LOL . Thankfully that motor had zero ridge when the heads were off last summer so hopefully it still doesn't have any and I will be able to just hone and go on that one . I should probably have mentioned that this 318 has been sitting hurt in the corner for 3 years while I went back and forth on whether to stroke it or not since it's the #s motor for the car , by doing this refresh/ rebuild now I gain a working stand by motor I can swap in and out as the need arises and I have been looking for a solid Notchback roller for some time now which is where the stroker will eventually go once I find one .

You may then want to pick one up now so you have it in the future, so you don't have to wait 2 weeks when you need it.

You may then want to pick one up now so you have it in the future, so you don't have to wait 2 weeks when you need it.
I mentioned that yesterday but Grant questioned why when has a real good Snap On one and I'm welcome to use it , heck if history tells us anything it's that if I ask he'll not only bring me the tool to borrow but do the work as well , I gotta say he's pretty awesome that way LOL !

I mentioned that yesterday but Grant questioned why when has a real good Snap On one and I'm welcome to use it , heck if history tells us anything it's that if I ask he'll not only bring me the tool to borrow but do the work as well , I gotta say he's pretty awesome that way LOL !

Holy Cow! Mopar guys are the same everywhere! But will he bring the beer and help you hide a body? That's when the real Mopar guys show themselves.
What was said about the ridge is true , it won't interfere with the new rings, it can just make it a pain to get the pistons in. Check and see if he has a piston ring groove cleaner too. Bet he does. And a ring compressor. And a torque wrench. Better yet load up the motor and go to his house so he doesn't have to carry that heavy beer so far.:burnout:

Yes she is taking her annual train ride , shitty prairie gas caused her to start blowing black real bad and a quick clean didn't fix it , it got to the point where it was washing the cylinders so I figured why make it worse , but i suspect you already knew that , they made me tell the story of last year on stage because Steve made me a Moparfest2013 TShirt with a pic of the car on the wrecker and the words "Did I Miss Anything" on it , needless to say they feel the same about you folk in Saskatchewan as you do about the folks in Ontarible , No I didn't give names LOL , say high to Patty , I sure missed going to the rodeo this year !

......Darn bad luck......Well its a great story..........the rodeo was awesome again this year...............kim..........

-
Back