318 rockers and intake

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
I just read an article about a guy that used roller rockers on an LA 318 and it was pumping oil from the top of the valve covers. The editor suggested that he use a oil pressure regulator. His rockers are needle bearings. Mine has bushings. Will using this type of rocker cause more trouble than they are worth? Also, I read that the intake ports are different on heads that were OE 4v vs 2v. Does this mean that I will have to look for 4v heads to use a 4v carb?
Brian

on mopars....there are 318 heads...which all have the same port size...

and there is 340/360 heads which all have the same port size...there is no 2v vs 4v ports...

the 318 head have small valves ...combustion chambers and ports...the 340/360 come with larger ports, chambers and valves...

to use a 4 barrel carb...you need a 4 barrel carb and intake manifold....

a intake made for a 340/360 will have larger ports then your 318 heads...but they will work.....or find a 4 barrel intake that is more designed for a 318 head...sort like a eddy performer intake...

the oil pump has a regulator spring build into it....

as far as bushed rockers...what kind of cam are you using?

I am using a flat hyd comp cam. It has a 460 and a 475 staggered lift (I think those numbers are correct).

on mopars....there are 318 heads...which all have the same port size...

and there is 340/360 heads which all have the same port size...there is no 2v vs 4v ports...

the 318 head have small valves ...combustion chambers and ports...the 340/360 come with larger ports, chambers and valves...

to use a 4 barrel carb...you need a 4 barrel carb and intake manifold....

a intake made for a 340/360 will have larger ports then your 318 heads...but they will work.....or find a 4 barrel intake that is more designed for a 318 head...sort like a eddy performer intake...

the oil pump has a regulator spring build into it....

as far as bushed rockers...what kind of cam are you using?

I run needle bearing rockers with no oil pressure diff from the 273 rockers I was running.

unless that guy has smaller than necessary shafts that are allowing a river of oil to blow out, the editor is a no nothing, for in that instance the right diameter shafts are what he should be suggesting.

funnier would be if he used stock shafts and ' clearanced ' them be means of needle bearings grinding away at the shafts.lol

-
Back