318 stalling out in gear....

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a stock 318 with a performer intake manifold, four barrel eddy carb, stock exhaust manifold, open exhaust, 727 transmission….

my issue is that when i put the car in gear(reverse) the car immediately stalls outs. no sputtering or lag, just stalls out right away. the car seems to run well in park and does not seem to be out of tune. Any ideas?

Can you make it stay running by putting foot on brake and giving it gas ?

In gear? No, haven't tried that. But it runs very smooth in park. I'd be afraid of pressing on the gas in reverse bc i wouldn't want to exceed the brakes.

And did you follow the tuning DVD that came with it? I would check for a vacuum leak.

vacuum leak may be it, get a small spray bottle and spray around areas and shield it to that area with a piece of cardboard/paper. Does it die in all gears besides neutral and park? How new is the stall converter?

The reason I ask is I had a similar problem with my truck. I tried every damn thing in the book. Even after it blew a headgasket, it would still do it unless I pushed the brake and gave it a lil gas. My problem turned out to be someone put a 360 torque converter behind my 318. It wasn't very happy about that at all. After I got my transmission professionally rebuilt and a factory high stall, the problem went away.

As crazy as it sounds, it almost seems like a electrical issue. Runs nice in park, but dies immediately in gear. I guess it could be the carb? What is your initial timing set at, and how many turns are the idle mixture screws out to make it run nice without a load? I'm thinking that could help narrow down what's happening.

I'll check for vacuum leaks and retune the carb to spec. I did tune the carb per the instructional video from eddy. I'll give it another once over. I just thought i checked everything. Probably overlooked something like u guys said....

I havent checked wiring yet. I will do the spray test. I am not sure about the torque converter, but I'm pretty sure it is stock that came with the 318/727 combo

Did the car run fine in gear before the Eddy carb swap?While idleing in park,place both hands over the top of carb(to choke it out).It should then idle high then die.If it doesn,t then you have a vacuum leak somewhere.Check carb to intake gasket for leak,also check all hoses for any cracks.Hope you find the leak.

This is a new engine and transmission setup for me. Just put it in so never ran it before hand. Granted it is all used, but i was told it all ran in the other vehicle it came out of. This engine and transmission was a original mated pair. That s about all i know. In other words, the engine has not run before this in my possession. First time.

If it feels like you shut off the key when you put it in reverse, I would lean towards an electrical problem. You can check for power at the coil with the shifter in reverse. Block the wheels first so the car doesn't start rolling away. Do you have a floor shifter or is it on the column?

Neutral safety switch playn games??????????

It does feel like I shutoff the car with the key. I had to splice in the neutral safety switch for this transmission. You think its a bad wiring job? Before I spliced the switch in the car wouldn't even start. Now it starts right up. Hmmm.

-
Back