318 Stroker Input

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with any of speed-o-motives stroker kits for the 318 or any other stroker setups?

This is a 318 to 391 kit
Specs:
HI NODULAR 4.000" STROKER CRANKSHAFT
- FORGED 5140 6.123" I-BEAM RODS w/ ARP WAVE-LOC BOLTS
- FORGED FLAT-TOP OR DISH PISTONS
- TOTAL SEAL MOLY RING SET
- CLEVITE MAIN & ROD BEARINGS

When picking the pistons, any advantages or disadvantages between:
Flat-Top 65cc 10:4:1, Dish-Top: 60cc 10:0:1, or maybe sticking in the 9s?

yep, my nephew has the 391 kit with the flat tops pistons. Its about 2 1/2 years old now and has been trouble free but he just drives it, no racing. He bought the parts and I put it together. Has a Hughes cam (mild/mod) but I don't remember the part# or specs. Air Gap manifold and Eddy Performer heads (both used). I gave him an old 650 AVS that I rebuilt to use until he gets a carb knowing damn well I'll probably never get it back. Nice and powerful little combo backed by a 904 in my old 73 Scamp.

I am working on getting the parts together...got KB847+30 dished pistons ...got good price on them...

got Scat 9000 4" cast crank....have had it for several years...

Rods...probably going to use Scat I beams...I will not use the eagle 5140 rods...

I have the rod and main bearing also...bought them with the cranks ...years ago...

need to buy rings.......

so I am doing mine piece by piece....

Thanks. So what was that about the 5140 rods?
What is the best type cam to go with? With all the reading about cam wipeouts, is a hydraulic roller cam the best way to go? Thanks for the input, definitely need help picking the right parts.

they HAD a history of breaking...now that my be history now...

but the scat i beams are made of a much better metal 4340....and only cost about 30 dollar more if that...

as far as cams...i dont know..i have never had a flat tappet cam wipe a lope.....so i dont have any problems using them...

Is this a street engine or what?.....hydraulic rollers are nice...and offer better performance then a flat tappet...but are more expensive up front.

Not sure as to what piston speedomotive is using...

but i would use the KB847....scat I beam rods...and scat 9000 series cast crank...
then pick your rings and bearing .....

might cost a few more dollars then the speedomotive kit...but i would sleep better...

as far as pistons and cams, what gas do you want to run? pump premium or race? Is this a street car, occasional strip or all out drag car? I'd call hughesengines.com and give them a question or two, they'll need to know carb size, axle ratio and tire size(diameter), stall of converter if an automatic, the more you can tell them the better they can help you. Good luck, I'm thinking about stroking my 318 as well

they HAD a history of breaking...now that my be history now...

but the scat i beams are made of a much better metal 4340....and only cost about 30 dollar more if that...

as far as cams...i dont know..i have never had a flat tappet cam wipe a lope.....so i dont have any problems using them...

Is this a street engine or what?.....hydraulic rollers are nice...and offer better performance then a flat tappet...but are more expensive up front.

It would be a street engine. Yeah if it's better, I would want to pick parts separately instead of a kit as long as they work fine together.

as far as pistons and cams, what gas do you want to run? pump premium or race? Is this a street car, occasional strip or all out drag car? I'd call hughesengines.com and give them a question or two, they'll need to know carb size, axle ratio and tire size(diameter), stall of converter if an automatic, the more you can tell them the better they can help you. Good luck, I'm thinking about stroking my 318 as well

I would run 91 gas for street

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/inba1.html

That's a good place to start for a 390 kit. I built one last year, and I went with the forged, balanced kit from them.

I'm running a hydraulic roller cam, and 11:1 pistons.
The engine was in a '97 Dakota and fuel injected, but I just picked up a '70 Dart Swinger that I am going to put it into, and I'm going carbed at that point.

How much better performance is a 390 really going to offer vs. a 360 do you think?

How much better performance is a 390 really going to offer vs. a 360 do you think?

Compared to a good built 360 none...as far as the Eagle rods if your don't exceed their limit 500 h.p. max you'll be fine especially in a street "only" car...

Don't let them fool you.......... with the "not much" comments.....

From someone who has a 390 in a work truck?

BWAAAHAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I agree with this post.

My "little" nitrous fed 390 moved a 4x4 Dakota through the traps in 12.90 @ 107mph.

Yup, they make the "feel every cylinder fire in your ***" kinda power..........

Wild is right, Stroke, is simply stroke!

Not true at all....

You don't what you are talking about, but thats nothing new..

tell us what happened when you stroked your 340...

did it happen to pick up around 75ftlbs of torque?

more torque gets you there faster, hp is the speed/rpm.

I would take a 390 cid over a 360 ANY DAY!

try being true to yourself, you live in a box built from your experience.

Even my wife will tell ya stroke matters....... LOL.....

OK, for real, it's true, unless, well, there is lack of tuning capabilities like mentioned in another thread today...........

:)

BIG torque example??? The difference a 400 runs compared to a 413.... Ever driven an old 413????? they are B A!

you live in a box built from your experience.

Keyword word being experience...as in been there done that,go back to playing with your matchboxes...

-
Back