318 tbi running mega rich

-

mopar_persson

Body Bag
Reaction score
hello I need help with my 318 tbi which is running mega rich it is in a dodge ram van, I know it is not a a-body, but thought you could help me anyway :) .

it is a 1988 tbi engine, ignition works fine and all sensor seems to work,
besides the Throttle Position Sensor When I pull out the wires from it seems to be no difference at all. ?? can that be my fault?

Here is a little video on how it runs. (black smoke)
it idels realy Low
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy97dUU1PJ0"]Dodge Van think it is a Diesel, black smoke - YouTube[/ame]

Check the MAP sensor, and the vaccum hose going to it......

if you pull a vacuum line off while running does the rpms increase. (thinking the idle air motor might be bad. or the fuel regulator). Just guesses though....check fuel pressure

I'm gonna say tps may be bad since there is no change when you unplug it. Also, check the map sensor (unplug it and drive around the block to see if theres any change) and temp sensor (to the right of water neck)

Try the pressure regulator - had a 91 TBI in a 318 that way. Also, check your fuel lines by the sender/pump area - had one on a truck where the return line collapsed after putting a new sender in and it ran so rich it woudl hardly move out of its own way. It was basically forcing the full fuel load through the throttle body and burning it! Took three DODGE technicians about 5 hours to figure it out (after I tried three nights after work to figure it out).

I'm going to carburetor convert it instead, thanks for the help
well, you mean thanks for no help since you didn't have the ability to diagnose and repair a simple system, but don't fret the mopar TBI system isn't a very good fuel injection system in the grand schem of things, your probally better off with a carb anyway...

-
Back