318 timing

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
Hi folks,

About to set the timing on my 318. How many degrees +/- do they like to run at "peak performance and still start well?

I dont think you could go wrong with 15 on ported for a start. If you wanted every system spot on you could finalize the initial with the "vac gauge method" (max vac minus 1" in hg at your slowest in gear idle speed) which is what the eng will be at at the stoplight then with that number in hand shorten the slots to get 35 total (initial+slots) then mix/match springs staying just under the pingiong point at WOT up thru the gears on your hottest/driest (most likely to ping) day then plug in/adj the vac can staying just under the pinging point in everyday driving under varying load/rpm conditions on your hottest/driest day and CW with the 3/32" allen wrench makes the can come in slower. If you get into it this far max out each system as described IN ORDER

Each motor is different. Get a ball park from a reputable source. If you want to use me as a source I would say start with initial at 10-15, advanced around 30. Take it up a few degrees at a time and drive it. Push your advanced as far as you can until you start missing at WOT. Then back it down a few degrees.

If you push the timing to a point of missing at wot you are WAY into preignition.

Mine started missing at 36 so I backed it down to 34. Car has never ran better.

I refer you to the "once" Carl Sagan, it's a bit more than "bullions and bullions"

-
Back