318 to 360 conversion

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
I am converting my 68 barracuda to a 360 motor with a 904 trans. In doing so I understand that the 360 motor (1974) is externally balanced and therefore requires a 904 transmission to use a externally balanced torque converter. With this in mind found the B&M flexplate #10239 on line at Summitt racing. I called the tech support and the tech mentioned that I use this flexplate with an externally balanced torque converter. The dilemma is I have read on line including in this forum that the B&M fleplate #10239 eliminates the need of the externally balanced torque converter. So My question is with this flex plate what type of torque converter do I need to purchase?

Thank you!

I think you have the right idea but wrong terminology. A 318 converter is NEUTRAL balanced, and a 360 (factory) converter is weighted to "externally balance" the 360. Sounds to me? like you want to use a neutral balance 318 converter with a 360, and that plate is exactly what you need.

Yep. Just get the plate. Its what I did for my 360 swap.

Does anyone know if this b&m flexplate 10239 works with a 1968 a 904? It only lists 1971-1992 so I'm concearned that there might be something different. Anyone know what that might be or has actually used the flexplate on a pre 71 transmission.

-
Back